Hydrogen - The Mysterious Anomaly

In summary, hydrogen is different than the other atoms on the periodic table because it has a proton and neutrons instead of the protons and neutrons that make up the other elements. This difference in number is what makes the chemical properties of hydrogen unique.
AJRed
I've been wondering what is up with hydrogen. It shares little more than basic commonality with any other atom, this strikes me as strange as all atoms share some properties with those around them on the periodic table whether be it nuclear, physical, or chemical. I asked a reputable source and she attributed it to the fact that Hydrogen is little more than a proton, but then deuterium or tritium should change dramatically given the addition of the neutrons that make the difference between Hydrogen and other atoms.

Does anyone have any explanation as to what makes Hydrogen so different?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is so different about hydrogen than the other atoms?

Zz.

AJRed said:
I've been wondering what is up with hydrogen. It shares little more than basic commonality with any other atom, this strikes me as strange as all atoms share some properties with those around them on the periodic table whether be it nuclear, physical, or chemical. I asked a reputable source and she attributed it to the fact that Hydrogen is little more than a proton, but then deuterium or tritium should change dramatically given the addition of the neutrons that make the difference between Hydrogen and other atoms.

As far as chemical properties are concerned, H1, H2, and H3 are similar.
Many nuclides have unusual properties, not just H1.

AJRed said:
I asked a reputable source and she attributed it to the fact that Hydrogen is little more than a proton, but then deuterium or tritium should change dramatically given the addition of the neutrons that make the difference between Hydrogen and other atoms.

How should the isotopes of hydrogen 'change dramatically'? This is a rather vague statement.

AJRed said:
I asked a reputable source and she attributed it to the fact that Hydrogen is little more than a proton, but then deuterium or tritium should change dramatically given the addition of the neutrons that make the difference between Hydrogen and other atoms.

The neutrons are not what make the difference between different elements in terms of chemical properties. It is the protons that do this. If you look at other elements, all the different isotopes have the same chemical properties. Hydrogen is no different.

I don't think this is what the OP is asking, but it's worth noting for those that claim that there can be no effect of neutron number on chemistry that there is some scope for isotopes to change the chemistry - in the kinetics of the system.

It's easy to see in the harmonic oscillator analogy - if you change the weight of the ball on the spring, the behaviour changes.

This is actually most obvious for isotopes of hydrogen. Moving from hydrogen to deuterium doubles the mass of the atom, tritium triples it. This is why there are some investigations into replacing hydrogen with deuterium for drugs (although it is difficult patent-wise). See: [URL]http://www.nature.com/news/2009/090316/full/458269a.html

http://www.nature.com/news/2009/090316/full/458269a.html[/URL] [PLAIN]http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/jm4007998

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/jm4007998[/URL][/URL]

I didn't know this until I had to do some work with deuterium last year. I think this is super neat.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is hydrogen and why is it considered a mysterious anomaly?

Hydrogen is a chemical element with the symbol H and atomic number 1. It is the lightest and most abundant element in the universe. It is considered a mysterious anomaly because despite being the most common element, it exhibits unique and unusual properties that are still not fully understood by scientists.

2. What are some of the unique properties of hydrogen?

Some of the unique properties of hydrogen include its ability to exist in three different states (gas, liquid, and solid) at room temperature, its low boiling point and melting point, and its ability to combine with almost any other element to form a wide range of compounds.

3. How is hydrogen used in everyday life?

Hydrogen is used in a variety of ways in everyday life. It is used as a fuel source for cars, buses, and other vehicles, as well as in fuel cells to generate electricity. It is also used in the production of ammonia for fertilizers, and in the production of various chemicals and materials such as plastics and pharmaceuticals.

4. What are the potential applications of hydrogen in the future?

Scientists are currently exploring the potential for hydrogen to be used as a clean and renewable energy source. It has the potential to replace fossil fuels and reduce carbon emissions. Hydrogen is also being studied for its potential use in space travel and as a possible fuel for future fusion reactors.

5. Are there any challenges or drawbacks to using hydrogen as a fuel source?

One of the main challenges with using hydrogen as a fuel source is its production. Currently, most hydrogen is produced from natural gas, which is a non-renewable resource. There are also safety concerns due to its highly flammable nature. However, scientists are working to develop more sustainable and safe methods of producing and storing hydrogen for widespread use.