Hyperbola: Definition & Math Understanding

• I
  • Thread starter parshyaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hyperbola
In summary, the circle and ellipse are both loci of points based on their distances from fixed points, while the hyperbola is based on the difference between the distances to two fixed points. The symmetry of the hyperbola comes from the absolute value, with one branch for each sign of the difference between the distances. The degenerate hyperbola for a=0 is a straight line, and more information about hyperbolas can be found on Wikipedia or a geometry website.
parshyaa
  • Circle: its a locus of a point which moves such that its distance from a fixed point is constant
  • Ellipse: its a locus of a point which moves such that its distance from two fixed point is constant.
  • These definition makes me understand How scientist/mathematican have invented these conics , so what is the best definition of hyperbola , definition which can make me understand the mathematican's approach or thinking.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The difference between the distance to two fixed points: ##| \; ||PF_2|| \, - \, ||PF_1|| \; | = 2 a = const.##

I know this definition ,but the problem ìs that how can you show that the difference between these distance will give you a two symmetric opposite curve, we can easily realize about ellipse but not with hyperbola.

The symmetry comes from the absolute value. One branch for each sign of ##||PF_2|| - ||PF_1||##. For ##a=0## one gets the degenerate hyperbola, a straight, the height of a double pyramide. Maybe I didn't catch your point.

Likes parshyaa
I think I got
fresh_42 said:
The symmetry comes from the absolute value. One branch for each sign of ##||PF_2|| - ||PF_1||##. For ##a=0## one gets the degenerate hyperbola, a straight, the height of a double pyramide. Maybe I didn't catch your point.

1. What is a hyperbola?

A hyperbola is a type of conic section, along with circles, ellipses, and parabolas. It is a curve that is formed by the intersection of a plane with a double cone.

2. What is the equation of a hyperbola?

The standard equation of a hyperbola is (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the hyperbola and a and b are the distances from the center to the vertices along the x and y axes, respectively.

3. How is a hyperbola different from an ellipse?

While both are conic sections, an ellipse is a closed curve with two foci, while a hyperbola is an open curve with two branches that extend infinitely. Additionally, the sum of the distances from any point on an ellipse to the two foci is constant, while the difference of distances from any point on a hyperbola to the two foci is constant.

4. How is a hyperbola used in real life?

Hyperbolas have practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They can be used to model the orbits of planets and comets, as well as the paths of radio waves and satellite signals. They also have applications in optics, such as in the design of satellite dishes and telescopes.

5. How do you graph a hyperbola?

To graph a hyperbola, you can plot the center point and the vertices, which can be found using the equation of the hyperbola. Then, draw the asymptotes, which are lines that pass through the center and intersect the vertices. Finally, sketch the two branches of the hyperbola, using the asymptotes as guides for their shape and direction.