Question inspired by reviewing conic sections

In summary, the conversation discusses the definitions of ellipses and hyperbolas as sets of points with constant sums or differences between the distances to two given foci. The main question is whether there are any shapes and equations for sets of points with constant products or quotients of the distances to the foci. The experts provide equations and suggest plotting the solution set, which may contain closed curves.
ScientificMind
Recently, in my calculus two class, we began going over conic sections. After reviewing the definitions of ellipses and hyperbolas - For two given points, the foci, an ellipse is the locus of points such that the sum of/difference between the distance to each focus is constant, respectively - I couldn't help but become curious: does a shape and/or equation for a set of points such that "the product or quotient of the distance to each focus is constant" instead of just the sum or difference? I posed this question to my math instructor too, but he didn't know. (I hope that this is the right section to post this in. It seemed most likely, but I couldn't tell with any certainty which sub-forum to post this on)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you explain precisely what you mean? If I consider two points ##A,B## at a distance ##a,b## form a focus ##F##, i.e. ##a=|AF| , b=|BF|## and look out for a third point ##C## with distance ##c=|CF|## from the focus, such that ##ab=ac=bc##, then I get ##a=b=c## and end up with a circle or the set ##\{A,B,F\}##.

fresh_42 said:
Can you explain precisely what you mean? If I consider two points ##A,B## at a distance ##a,b## form a focus ##F##, i.e. ##a=|AF| , b=|BF|## and look out for a third point ##C## with distance ##c=|CF|## from the focus, such that ##ab=ac=bc##, then I get ##a=b=c## and end up with a circle or the set ##\{A,B,F\}##.
First of all, ellipses and hyperbolas both have two foci, not one focus. The two foci are the two points in the definitions I provided, not two other points. So, if the two foci are A and B, and the distances between those foci and any given point P are |AP| and |BP|:
An ellipse (represented by the equation (x2/a2) + (y2/b2) = 1, or (y2/a2) + (x2/b2) = 1 with a>b) consists of all points P such that |AP| + |BP| is constant and a hyperbola (represented by the equation (x2/a2) - (y2/b2) = 1, or (y2/a2) - (x2/b2) = 1) consists of all points P such that the absolute value of |AP| - |BP| is constant. What I'm asking is if there are any shapes and equations for the sets of points such that |AP| * |BP| is constant, |AP| / |BP| is constant, and/or |BP| / |AP| is constant.

ScientificMind said:
What I'm asking is if there are any shapes and equations for the sets of points such that |AP| * |BP| is constant, |AP| / |BP| is constant, and/or |BP| / |AP| is constant.
Are there equations? Of course. ##k = |AP| \cdot |BP|## is an equation. It could be written as ##k = \sqrt{(x-x_A)^2 + (y-y_A)^2} \cdot \sqrt{(x-x_B)^2 + (y-y_B)^2}##

Are you, perhaps, asking whether that equation could be simplified into some other form such as a polynomial equation in x and y using some constants which depend on k, ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}##? It looks like squaring both sides would be a good start. I've not worked it out, but it looks like that particular result would be a degree 4 polynomial equation in x and y.

Are there shapes? Of course. You could plot the solution set for the above equation. I believe the solution set (for k>0, and ##\vec{A}## different from ##\vec{B}##) will always contain at least one and possibly two closed curves. Are you, perhaps, asking whether those curves are shapes which are well-known by other names? Beats me.

Last edited:
Likes SlowThinker and ScientificMind
jbriggs444 said:
Are there equations? Of course. ##k = |AP| \cdot |BP|## is an equation. It could be written as ##k = \sqrt{(x-x_A)^2 + (y-y_A)^2} \cdot \sqrt{(x-x_B)^2 + (y-y_B)^2}##

Are you, perhaps, asking whether that equation could be simplified into some other form such as a polynomial equation in x and y using some constants which depend on k, ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}##? It looks like squaring both sides would be a good start. I've not worked it out, but it looks like that particular result would be a degree 4 polynomial equation in x and y.

Are there shapes? Of course. You could plot the solution set for the above equation. I believe the solution set (for k>0, and ##\vec{A}## different from ##\vec{B}##) will always contain at least one and possibly two closed curves. Are you, perhaps, asking whether those curves are shapes which are well-known by other names? Beats me.
:-pYeah, I suppose it was kind of a silly way for me to phrase my questions. Though I commend you for not only answering the questions I posed but also addressing and answering the questions I meant when I myself didn't fully realize that those alternate questions were far closer to expressing what I was actually curious about. Thank you

If you make a contour plot of ##z = \sqrt{(x-x_A)^2 + (y-y_A)^2} \cdot \sqrt{(x-x_B)^2 + (y-y_B)^2}##, you should be able to see what the level curves look like.

1. What are conic sections?

Conic sections are geometric shapes that are formed when a plane intersects a cone at different angles.

2. What are the different types of conic sections?

The four main types of conic sections are circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.

3. How are conic sections used in real life?

Conic sections have many applications in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and architecture. For example, circles are used to create wheels and gears, while parabolas are used in satellite dishes and solar panels.

4. What is the general equation for a conic section?

The general equation for a conic section is Ax² + Bxy + Cy² + Dx + Ey + F = 0, where A, B, and C determine the type of conic section and D, E, and F determine the position and orientation of the shape.

5. How do conic sections relate to the focus and directrix?

The focus and directrix are important elements in the definition of a conic section. In an ellipse or hyperbola, the focus is a fixed point inside the shape, while the directrix is a fixed line outside the shape. In a parabola, the focus and directrix are both fixed points.