I.7 verify that the given function is a solution

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, The given function, u=\phi(x,y,z)=(x^2 + y^2 +z^2)^{-1/2}, is a solution to the differential equation u_{xx} + u_{yy} + u_{zz} = 0, when (x,y,z) \neq (0,0,0). To verify this, one must evaluate the second partial derivatives of u with respect to x, y, and z, and see if they combine to give 0. This notation means the second partial derivative of the function u.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\textsf{i.7 verify that the given function is a solution} $
\begin{align*}\displaystyle
u_{xx}+u_{yy}+u_{zz}&=0\\
u=\phi(x,y,z)&=(x^2 + y^2 +z^2)^{-1/2}\\
(x,y,z)&\ne(0,0,0)
\end{align*}

ok there is no book answer:mad:
$\tiny{Elementary \, Differential \, Equations \, Boundary \, Value \, Problems \quad Boyce/Diprinaia \quad 1965}$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
$\textsf{i.7 verify that the given function is a solution} $
\begin{align*}\displaystyle
u_{xx}+u_{yy}+u_{zz}&=0\\
u=\phi(x,y,z)&=(x^2 + y^2 +z^2)^{-1/2}\\
(x,y,z)&\ne(0,0,0)
\end{align*}

ok there is no book answer:mad:
$\tiny{Elementary \, Differential \, Equations \, Boundary \, Value \, Problems \quad Boyce/Diprinaia \quad 1965}$

So evaluate those derivatives and see if they combine in that way to give 0...

Prove It said:
So evaluate those derivatives and see if they combine in that way to give 0...

ok I am like page 5 in the book so I don't know exactly what $U_{xx}$ means I presume it means 2nd derivative of the function U

That notation usually means the second partial derivative w.r.t $x$.

so what would we use for a function?

karush said:
so what would we use for a function?

\(\displaystyle u=\phi(x,y,z)=\left(x^2 + y^2 +z^2\right)^{-\Large\frac{1}{2}}\)

What does it mean to verify a function as a solution?

Verifying a function as a solution means to test and confirm that the function satisfies all the conditions and constraints of a given problem or equation.

Why is it important to verify a function as a solution?

Verifying a function as a solution is important because it ensures that the function is accurate and valid, and can be used to solve the given problem or equation with confidence.

What are the steps involved in verifying a function as a solution?

The steps involved in verifying a function as a solution typically include plugging the function into the given equation or problem, simplifying the equation, and checking if the function satisfies all the constraints and conditions.

What should be checked when verifying a function as a solution?

When verifying a function as a solution, it is important to check if the function satisfies all the given constraints and conditions, if the function is continuous and differentiable, and if the function produces the correct output for all possible inputs.

How do you know if a function is a valid solution to a given problem?

A function is a valid solution to a given problem if it satisfies all the constraints and conditions of the problem, produces the correct output for all possible inputs, and can be used to solve the problem accurately and efficiently.