I am looking for an example of a Fredholm module

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding simple examples of a Fredholm module and provides some resources for potential examples. The conversation also mentions a French paper by Alain Connes that discusses the Hilbert transform and its relation to the Fredholm module.
Heidi
I found this in wikipedia
It only gives the definition of a Fredholm module. so i would like to find simple examples. what is this hermitian involutive F?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks a lot.
great links!
I didn't think this would be a read for the beach :)

Likes fresh_42
In this french paper Alain Connes divides the Hilbert transform by the imaginary number i to get the F of the Fredholm module (hermicity and such FF = Id)

1. What is a Fredholm module?

A Fredholm module is a mathematical object used in the study of operator algebras. It consists of a C*-algebra, a Hilbert space, and a pair of operators that satisfy certain conditions. These modules are used to classify C*-algebras and understand their properties.

2. How is a Fredholm module different from a Fredholm operator?

A Fredholm operator is a linear operator on a Hilbert space that has finite-dimensional kernel and cokernel. A Fredholm module, on the other hand, is a more general object that includes a C*-algebra and a Hilbert space, in addition to the pair of operators. While a Fredholm operator can be seen as a special case of a Fredholm module, the latter allows for a more comprehensive study of C*-algebras.

3. What are the applications of Fredholm modules?

Fredholm modules have various applications in mathematics and physics. They are used in the study of index theory, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationship between differential operators and topological invariants. They also have applications in quantum field theory and non-commutative geometry.

4. How are Fredholm modules classified?

Fredholm modules are classified using K-theory, a mathematical tool that assigns invariants to C*-algebras. Specifically, they are classified by the K-theory group of the C*-algebra associated with the module. This classification allows for a better understanding of the properties of the C*-algebra and its associated Fredholm module.

5. Can you provide an example of a Fredholm module?

One example of a Fredholm module is the Toeplitz algebra, which consists of all operators on the Hardy space that are multiplication by a bounded function. The Toeplitz module, which includes the Toeplitz algebra, the Hardy space, and the Toeplitz operator, is a Fredholm module. It has been extensively studied in the field of operator algebras and has applications in both mathematics and physics.