I am stupid and this book is being inconsistent with the Comparison test

In summary: The function in the integral test is constructed from the terms in the series. The terms in the series are what matter, not the overall shape of the function. The picture is just a visual representation of how the terms in the series relate to the function in the integral.In summary, the comparison test compares the integrals of two functions that are only related by an inequality, while the integral test compares a series with the integral of a function that is constructed from the terms in the series. The two tests are not analogous and have different criteria for convergence and divergence. The professor's statement about the "if and only if" relationship between the convergence/divergence of the series and the integral was not correct and should include additional information.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Before I state my problem, I need to quote this from my book

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3748/comparisonnr.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/8665/integraltest.th.jpg

See the problem here?

Let me draw out the Integral Test for you.

http://img858.imageshack.us/i/droppingcurve.jpg/

As you can see that for [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty } a_n \leq \int_{1}^{\infty} f(x) dx[/tex]

For even if the integral diverges or converges, the series will diverge or converge respectively. This contradicts the comparison test no?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also my professor actually stated this

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n[/tex] converges [tex]\iff \int_{1}^{\infty} f(x) dx[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n[/tex] diverges [tex]\iff \int_{1}^{\infty} f(x) dx[/tex]

Which means if one side is satisfied, the other is immediately satisfied? Is that what if and only if really means when they mean "going both ways"?

(I will refrain from answering the question in the title.) But, there is absolutely NO inconsistency in these. Read the rest of this and think about what each test does and how they're different, before responding with a one or two line post full of ambiguous antecedents (pronouns referring to this or that or it or them or ...).

What does the comparison test compare?
It compares two functions.
Depending on the results of that comparison, it's possible to determine the convergence/divergence of the integral (from a to + infinity) for one of the functions, based upon knowledge of the convergence/divergence of the integral (from a to + infinity) for the other function.​

What does the other test, the integral test, do? More importantly, what two types of things are being compared?
In this test, you have a function and a series constructed in a very special way from a sequence based on that same function. In this case the convergence/divergence is the same for both the infinite series and the integral (from 1 to infinity) of the function.​

So, the comparison test compares the integrals of two functions --- the functions are only related by an inequality. This test does not contain an "if and only if".

On the other hand, the integral test compares a series with the integral of a function. The terms in the series are closely related to the function. This test does have the "if and only if" to which you referred.

The tests are quite different. There is no inconsistency.

But I am just mainly having problems with the divergence part.

If say f > g

Then by comparison test, if f is divergent, it does not necessarily mean g is. But for Integral test, it says it does (and hence what I mean by the iff)

And a series is not an integral! So what?

But it can behave like a function

flyingpig said:
But it can behave like a function
What is it?

I said, "A series is not an integral." Where is a function mentioned in that sentence?

But it doesn't matter though, the series still decreases so like an inequality between functions.

The series is based on the function in the integral test.

The two functions in the comparison test have little in common.

The two tests are NOT analogous.

flyingpig said:
Also my professor actually stated this

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n[/tex] converges [tex]\iff \int_{1}^{\infty} f(x) dx[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n[/tex] diverges [tex]\iff \int_{1}^{\infty} f(x) dx[/tex]

Which means if one side is satisfied, the other is immediately satisfied? Is that what if and only if really means when they mean "going both ways"?

I hope he didn't say what you have above. In both statements you are missing important information. In the first statement the right side should also include the the integral converges. In the second statement, it should say that the integral diverges.

flyingpig said:
But I am just mainly having problems with the divergence part.

If say f > g

Then by comparison test, if f is divergent, it does not necessarily mean g is. But for Integral test, it says it does (and hence what I mean by the iff)

What you're missing here is that the Integral Test doesn't compare two different functions. The function in the integral is the continuous version of the function that is in the series. So for example, if the series happened to be
[tex]\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}a_n = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]

then the function in the integral would be f(x) = 1/x2. Notice that f(1) = a1, f(2) = a2, and so on.

Mark44 said:
I hope he didn't say what you have above. In both statements you are missing important information. In the first statement the right side should also include the the integral converges. In the second statement, it should say that the integral diverges.

He didn't say that, but that's what he wrote down. Actually someone asked him about the Iff part and he explained it too. That's why I said he "said it"

My notes today were

flyingpig's notes said:
Thm: For a series [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n[/tex] satisfying a1 > a2 > a3 > ...> 0, we have

(1) [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n [/tex] converges [tex]\iff \int_{1}^{\infty} f(x) dx[/tex] converges

(2) [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n [/tex] diverges [tex]\iff \int_{1}^{\infty} f(x) dx[/tex] diverges

Also he did a quick proof of this I'll show you

flyingpig's professor's proof said:
Proof:

(1) [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n [/tex], [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n < +\infty[/tex]

=> [tex]\int_{1}^{\infty} f(x) dx < +\infty[/tex]

so [tex]\int_{1}^{\infty} f(x) dx [/tex] converges

Assume [tex]\int_{1}^{\infty} f(x) dx [/tex] converges, [tex]\int_{1}^{\infty} f(x) dx < +\infty [/tex]

(agree up to this point, but the divergence stuff is flawed I think)

(2) [tex]\int_{1}^{\infty} f(x) dx [/tex] diverges for [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n = +\infty \iff \int_{1}^{\infty} f(x) dx = +\infty[/tex]

SammyS said:
The series is based on the function in the integral test.

The two functions in the comparison test have little in common.

The two tests are NOT analogous.

But the picture! The picture! I think we only care about the decreasing part of the series/function

Mark44 said:
What you're missing here is that the Integral Test doesn't compare two different functions. The function in the integral is the continuous version of the function that is in the series. So for example, if the series happened to be

then the function in the integral would be f(x) = 1/x2. Notice that f(1) = a1, f(2) = a2, and so on.

Yes I missed that thanks lol

Mark44 said:

an are the values, listing them out? Like what I have in the picture, doesn't change my argument though

Give us a specific example where one of these tests contradicts the other. --- where one says a particular integral or series converges/diverges when that's not true.

Sammy, I just had an epiphany this morning when I woke up and I figured out why.

The thing is that when we set the series to the function, the series itself is the function, it's just that we take particular n, (namely integers only) and so it behaves as the function itself.

When the comparsion test actually tests perhaps two different functions

flyingpig said:
Sammy, I just had an epiphany this morning when I woke up and I figured out why.

The thing is that when we set the series to the function, the series itself is the function, it's just that we take particular n, (namely integers only) and so it behaves as the function itself.
That's a pretty awkward way to put it, but that's the basic idea. The function used in the integral test is chosen so that it agees at integer values with the terms in the series.

In the example I used a few posts back, the series to be investigated was
[tex]\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]

The function that we would choose would be f(x) = 1/x2. The a1 = f(1), a2 = f(2), and so on. I said this before, but it sounds like it might make more sense to you now.
flyingpig said:
When the comparsion test actually tests perhaps two different functions
Not perhaps. It tests two different functions, one of which you know its behavior.

1. What is the Comparison Test and how does it relate to the concept of being inconsistent?

The Comparison Test is a method used in mathematics to determine if an infinite series converges or diverges. It involves comparing the given series to another series that is known to converge or diverge. If the two series have the same behavior, then the given series will have the same behavior as well. Inconsistency in this context refers to when the Comparison Test yields a different result than what is expected, causing confusion.

2. How can a book be inconsistent with the Comparison Test?

A book can be inconsistent with the Comparison Test if it presents incorrect or conflicting information about the test or the application of the test. This can lead to confusion and errors in understanding and solving mathematical problems.

3. What are some common mistakes or misunderstandings when using the Comparison Test?

One common mistake is not properly identifying the series to be compared with the given series. This can lead to incorrect conclusions about the behavior of the given series. Another misunderstanding is not understanding the conditions for the Comparison Test to be valid, such as both series having positive terms and the series being convergent.

4. How can one avoid inconsistencies when using the Comparison Test?

To avoid inconsistencies, it is important to thoroughly understand the concept and application of the Comparison Test. This includes understanding the conditions for its validity and being able to identify the correct series for comparison. It is also helpful to double-check calculations and results to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any alternative methods to the Comparison Test that can be used to determine the convergence of a series?

Yes, there are other methods such as the Ratio Test, Root Test, and Integral Test that can be used to determine convergence or divergence of a series. It is important to have a grasp of multiple methods and when to use them in order to better understand and solve mathematical problems involving infinite series.