I am stupid, tell me how to create documents with LaTeX.

In summary, to create documents using LaTeX, you will need to have MiKTeX, TeXnicCenter, Ghostscript, GSview, and Mathtype v. 5.0 installed. Once installed, you can use the TeXnicCenter editor to write your document by following a specific format. If you are not familiar with LaTeX, you can find user manuals online, and it is considered essential for graduate students in the physics/mathematics area. For an editor, LED is recommended. Using LaTeX may take some time to learn, but it will ultimately save time in writing equations and cross-referencing.
Pinu7
I want to create documents using LaTeX.

I have:
MiKTeX
TeXnicCenter
Ghostscript
GSview
Mathtype v. 5.0

I want to create documents, but I have no idea how to start, this all seems foreign to me. Assume I am a stupid High School Sophmore who doesn't know anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that you already installed the programs you mentioned, you can write the following in the TeXnixCenter editor and begin:

Code:
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
%your data here
\end{document}

If you know nothing about Latex, and how to write equations using it, then you have to have a user manual from the Internet. Actually, the Latex has many packages, each of which has its own manual.

Refer to the following link http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Absolute_Beginners" , please.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I ask a quick follow-on question: is LaTeX seen as essential for graduate students in the physics/mathematics area? I still have not learned it...

Yes it is essential if you ever plan on writing some papers or a thesis. Its not that hard to learn.
In windows I prefer LED the best for an editor.

I would disagree with Hepth. Most people that I see unfortunately still use Word or something else. Having said that, I used latex and have highly recommended it to anyone writing a thesis. Let's be honest, it's just a drop in the pond of time required to write it. You might as well do it right, plus it will eventually save you a CRAPLOAD of time writing equations and cross-referencing.

What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting program used for creating high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and academia.

Do I have to be a computer expert to use LaTeX?

No, while some coding knowledge can be helpful, there are user-friendly interfaces and templates available for beginners to use LaTeX.

Why should I use LaTeX instead of a word processor?

LaTeX offers more control over formatting and typesetting, resulting in more professional-looking documents. It also has built-in features for creating complex equations and references.

How do I get started with using LaTeX?

The first step is to download a LaTeX distribution, such as MiKTeX or TeX Live. Then, you can use a text editor or a specialized LaTeX editor to create and compile your documents.

Are there any resources for learning LaTeX?

Yes, there are many online tutorials, forums, and books available for learning LaTeX. It can also be helpful to study sample documents and templates to see how they are structured and formatted.