I am trying to build a basketball shooter.

In summary, the speaker is new to Physics Forums and is seeking help with their project of making an air cannon that can shoot basketballs half way across a court. They provide information on the court's length, the ball's mass, and their calculations for the acceleration and force needed. Another user provides a link to a resource for further assistance. The speaker also asks about deleting the thread, but is advised not to.
notmot
Hello this is my first post so if i do anything wrong pleas tell me so thanks.
So i am trying to make an air cannon to shoot basketballs half way across a basketball court not into the hoop but just bellow it. Can you tell me if my calculations are correct?. The half the court is 42 feet(12.8 meters) long the ball's mass is 0.623689. I Think that the acceleration needed would be 13.4 m/s including the force of gravity (for now just gravity in a vacuum with no air resistance ) at a 45 degree angle. so i think i would need 8.236077N witch i think is 32.903779 psi.

PS

Sorry if i am horribly wrong but i am rather young and new to physics

Physics news on Phys.org
how do i delete this thread?

Why delete this one? It's fine.

1. How does a basketball shooter work?

A basketball shooter works by using a mechanical arm or lever to propel a basketball towards the hoop. The arm is typically powered by a motor and is controlled by sensors or a remote controller.

2. What materials are needed to build a basketball shooter?

The materials needed to build a basketball shooter can vary, but some common components include a motor, gears, sensors, a power source, and a frame to hold everything together. Depending on the design, additional materials such as wheels, pulleys, and a backboard may also be needed.

3. What is the ideal shooting angle for a basketball shooter?

The ideal shooting angle for a basketball shooter depends on various factors such as the distance from the shooter to the hoop, the height of the hoop, and the velocity of the ball. Generally, a shooting angle of around 45 degrees is considered optimal.

4. How accurate is a basketball shooter?

The accuracy of a basketball shooter depends on the design and programming of the machine, as well as external factors such as wind and surface conditions. With precise calibration and adjustments, a basketball shooter can be very accurate, but it may still have some margin of error.

5. Can a basketball shooter be used for training purposes?

Yes, a basketball shooter can be a useful tool for training and improving shooting skills. By adjusting the settings and shooting from various angles, a player can simulate different game scenarios and practice their shooting technique.