Maximizing Basketball Shooting Accuracy: Physics Considerations

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a basketball-shooting robot and how to calculate the necessary angle for the shot. The topic of energy loss during the shot due to spinning or air resistance is also mentioned. The speaker suggests using equations to solve for the angle, but the other person suggests stepping through all possibilities for a more feasible solution.
eulerddx4
Hello,

I am designing a robot that shoots basketballs of diameter 7 in and am trying to figure out a couple things.

First:

I was talking to a friend and they were saying that when you shoot a ball energy gets lopped off as it is shot.

I'm wondering if this is energy lost due to having to spin the ball or energy lost due to air resistance.

also I am trying to figure out the angle we have to shoot our ball given the velocity, x position and y position from the hoop.

what I have done so far is use x final (xf) = x initial (xi) + V initial in x direction (Vix) *t

and yf = yo + vyo*t - 1/2 gt^2

so say the hoop is 3 meters away in x direction,
my shooter is on the ground at x = 0
the hoop is at y= 1.5 meters
the velocity of the ball coming out of the shooter is v= 9.5 m/s

so basically i would use x equation first

xf = x0 + vox *t

3 = 0 + 9.5 cos theta *t

solve for t

t = 3 / 9.5 cos theta

then use y equation

yf = yo + voy *t - 1/2 g t^2

1.5 = 0 + vo sin theta * (3/9.5 cos theta) - 4.9 (3/9.5 cos theta)^2

I don't know how to solve this though...

Or is there a better way to solve this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jpconnors9 said:
1.5 = 0 + vo sin theta * (3/9.5 cos theta) - 4.9 (3/9.5 cos theta)^2

I don't know how to solve this though...
I haven't looked at your mathematics; just wanted to address this.

Sometimes, especially when you don't need a highly precise answer, it is feasible to step through all possibilities, and use the one that comes closest to the solution. So here you could step through all thetas from say, 5 deg to 85 deg, in steps of 1 deg, or even 0.5 deg. It sounds like the application is one where time is not at a premium.

What is the physics behind maximizing basketball shooting accuracy?

The physics behind maximizing basketball shooting accuracy involves understanding concepts such as force, velocity, and trajectory. When shooting a basketball, players must apply the right amount of force to propel the ball towards the basket at the right angle and with the right amount of velocity to increase the chances of making a shot.

How does the release angle affect shooting accuracy?

The release angle is the angle at which the player releases the ball from their hands. It greatly affects the trajectory of the ball. A higher release angle will result in a higher arc and a softer touch on the ball, making it more likely to go in. A lower release angle may result in a flatter shot with a higher chance of bouncing off the rim.

What role does backspin play in shooting accuracy?

Backspin is crucial in maximizing basketball shooting accuracy. When a ball is spinning backwards, it creates a lifting force that helps the ball travel in a straighter path towards the basket. This decreases the chances of the ball bouncing off the rim or backboard and increases the likelihood of making a shot.

How does the basketball's bounce affect shooting accuracy?

The basketball's bounce is affected by the material and air pressure of the ball. A properly inflated ball with the right amount of bounce can help players shoot with more accuracy. It is important to practice with the same type of ball used in games to get a better feel for its bounce and how it affects shooting.

What are some tips for maximizing basketball shooting accuracy?

Some tips for maximizing basketball shooting accuracy include practicing proper shooting form and technique, understanding the physics behind shooting, using the backboard as a guide, and consistently practicing from different spots on the court to improve muscle memory. It is also important to stay relaxed and focused while shooting and to have confidence in your abilities.