I am trying to figure out how to refer to two overlapping uncertainty

In summary, the conversation is about how to refer to two overlapping uncertainty results in a conclusion. The example given is about the power transfer ratio of two different rated golf balls, which have uncertainties that overlap. The speaker is unsure of how to refer to this in their conclusion, but it is suggested that the conclusion should state that the results are inconclusive due to the overlapping uncertainties. It is also advised to avoid making a definitive statement about one ball having a higher power transfer ratio than the other.
golfz
I am trying to figure out how to refer to two overlapping uncertainty results. I have to write a conclusion and I find it difficult to explain. Even now it may seem unclear as to what I am referring to so I will provide an example. This is directly from my conclusion.

'The 72 rated golf ball had a higher power transfer ratio of 1.482 (±0.197) and that of the 98 rated ball had a ratio of 1.343 (±0.287).'

The two results 'overlap'. How do I refer to this? These are two different results for two difference independent variables.

Physics news on Phys.org

It depends on the initial hypothesis you are trying to test.

Assuming you are testing the effect of ball type on power transfer ratio, the proper conclusion in this instance is that it is inconclusive whether the type of golf ball affects the power transfer ratio. A conclusive result would require the uncertainties to not overlap.

I would avoid saying whether one ball has a higher power transfer ratio over the other for this reason. The truth is, you cannot definitively say which is higher.

Claude.

Related to I am trying to figure out how to refer to two overlapping uncertainty

1. What is the meaning of "overlapping uncertainty"?

Overlapping uncertainty refers to a situation in which there is uncertainty or doubt about two or more related factors, and these uncertainties intersect or overlap with each other.

2. How can overlapping uncertainty affect research or scientific findings?

Overlapping uncertainty can complicate research and scientific findings by introducing potential biases or errors in data interpretation, as well as making it difficult to accurately determine cause and effect relationships.

3. What are some strategies for addressing overlapping uncertainty in scientific studies?

Some strategies for addressing overlapping uncertainty include using multiple methods or approaches, conducting sensitivity analyses, and clearly acknowledging and discussing the uncertainties in the findings.

4. Can overlapping uncertainty be completely eliminated in scientific research?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate overlapping uncertainty in scientific research as it is inherent in the nature of scientific inquiry. However, it can be minimized by using rigorous methods and being transparent about uncertainties.

5. Are there any ethical considerations when dealing with overlapping uncertainty in scientific research?

Yes, ethical considerations may arise when overlapping uncertainty impacts the validity or reliability of research findings, as this may have implications for the use of these findings in decision-making or policy-making processes.