I am trying to set up a model using calculus in physics and I need assistance?

In summary, the acceleration of gravity changes by a factor of r^2 when falling from the sky to the ground. The change in acceleration over time is called "jerk" and is the second derivative of velocity. To calculate the final speed of a ball dropped from 50 meters to the surface of the Earth, one can use the Earth's field and calculate the path integral between two points. Alternatively, the force of gravity on the ball can be written as a function of distance, and the total work done can be used in Einstein's equations from special relativity to calculate the velocity.
zeromodz
Okay, you know how the acceleration of gravity changes by a factor of r^2 when you are falling downward from the sky to the ground. Say I drop a ball from b = 50 meters to a = 0 meters(surface of the earth). The change in acceleration over time is called a "jerk" and its the second derivative of velocity.

So how could we calculate the actual final speed of the ball when it hits the surface of the Earth including instantaneous acceleration? I know that it is negligible, but I want to see if its possible to really calculate excluding air resistance.

I have an idea on how to start how to work this out, but I got a little confused because I am a little new to calculus and am not completely sure my work was correct. Using my intuition that a model of this would already exist if it was possible to make by other physicists.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dude this is really easy, write down the function of the Earth's field and calculate the path integral between two points. Since the Earth's field is conservative (curl = 0) then the integral is path independent so you can evaluate the potential function at the end points and you get the same answer.

Or take a shortcut and write down the force of gravity on your object as a function of distance from the Earth's center, and integrate over your falling distance. Once you find the total work done on your object you can use Einstein's equations from special relativity to calculate the velocity from Earth's reference frame (since you are so picky about getting an accurate model, otherwise you'd use v=root(2gh) ). Acceleration is F/m, you should know that.

Related to I am trying to set up a model using calculus in physics and I need assistance?

1. What is the purpose of using calculus in physics?

The purpose of using calculus in physics is to model and analyze physical systems that involve continuously changing quantities. Calculus allows for precise calculations of rates of change, areas under curves, and other important concepts in physics.

2. How does calculus help in setting up a model in physics?

Calculus helps in setting up a model in physics by providing a framework for understanding the behavior of physical systems. It allows for the creation of equations that describe the relationships between variables and can be used to make predictions and solve problems.

3. What are some common applications of calculus in physics?

Some common applications of calculus in physics include determining the trajectory of a projectile, calculating the speed and acceleration of an object, and analyzing the behavior of waves and oscillations.

4. How can I apply calculus to my specific problem in physics?

To apply calculus to a specific problem in physics, you will need to identify the relevant variables and their relationships, and then use calculus techniques such as differentiation and integration to create equations that describe the behavior of the system. It may also be helpful to consult with a teacher or tutor for assistance.

5. What are some tips for successfully using calculus in physics?

Some tips for successfully using calculus in physics include understanding the fundamental concepts of calculus and their applications in physics, practicing with various types of problems, and seeking assistance or resources when needed. It is also important to carefully and accurately set up the model and check your work for errors.