I can't think of a counterexample to disprove this set theory theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of disjoint sets and how it applies to families of sets. It is established that if the union of two families of sets is disjoint, then the intersection of the two families is also disjoint. However, this does not hold if both families contain only the empty set. It is clarified that empty sets are not counted in unions, but they are included in intersections. The conversation also includes an example to further illustrate this concept.
the baby boy
I can't think of a counterexample to disprove this set theory "theorem"

Assume F and G are families of sets.

IF [itex]\cup[/itex]F [itex]\bigcap[/itex] [itex]\cup[/itex]G = ∅ (disjoint), THEN F [itex]\bigcap[/itex] G are disjoint as well.

Physics news on Phys.org

Think of using the empty set efficiently.

Just so I understand, an empty set in a family of sets would be the following?:
Family of sets F = {{1,2,3},{4,5,6},{∅}}?

Suppose I included an empty set in both of the families, would the intersection still be a disjoint or would it be the set {∅}?

Last edited:

It doesn't hold if F = G = {[itex]\emptyset[/itex]}.

So empty sets are not counted in a union, but they are in an interception?

the baby boy said:
So empty sets are not counted in a union, but they are in an interception?
No, that's not it.
[itex]\cup F \bigcap \cup G = \cup \{\emptyset\} \bigcap \cup \{\emptyset\}[/itex]
[itex]= \emptyset \bigcap \emptyset[/itex]
[itex]= \emptyset[/itex]
However, [itex]F \cap G = \{\emptyset\}[/itex], which is a non-empty set, so F and G are not disjoint.
(Note it doesn't really make sense to say "[itex]F \cap G[/itex] is disjoint" - it takes 2 sets to be disjoint, and [itex]F \cap G[/itex] is only a single set. So I assume you meant "F and G are disjoint" and not "[itex]F \cap G[/itex] is disjoint."

Could you further clarify how the union of a family set consisting of just {∅} becomes ∅?

From my previous example, what would ∪F be?
Family of sets F = {{1,2,3},{4,5,6},{∅}}
∪F = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6} or {∅, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6}?

Related to I can't think of a counterexample to disprove this set theory theorem

1. What is a counterexample in set theory?

A counterexample in set theory is a specific example or instance that disproves a given theorem or statement. In other words, it is a case that does not follow the rules or conditions set forth in the theorem.

2. Why is it important to consider counterexamples in set theory?

Considering counterexamples is important because it allows us to test the validity of a theorem or statement. If a counterexample exists, then the theorem is not universally true and may need to be revised or reevaluated.

3. Can a set theory theorem be proven without a counterexample?

Yes, a set theory theorem can be proven without a counterexample. However, the presence of a counterexample can help to strengthen the proof and provide a more complete understanding of the theorem.

4. How do you find a counterexample in set theory?

To find a counterexample in set theory, you must carefully examine the conditions and assumptions of the theorem. Then, try to come up with a specific instance or example that does not follow these conditions. It may require trial and error, but eventually, a counterexample can be found.

5. Is there a specific method for disproving a set theory theorem?

There is not a specific method for disproving a set theory theorem. Each theorem may require a different approach, and it may take multiple attempts to find a counterexample. It is important to carefully analyze the theorem and consider all possibilities when attempting to disprove it.