I don't get the same results in a Pytel dynamics problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in Pytel Mechanics Dynamics 2nd edition involving a bead moving along a wire. The position of the bead is given by a formula and the person is trying to solve for the time when the bead leaves the wire and the distance traveled by the bead from t=0 until it leaves the wire. They are discussing their solution and asking for verification of their answer. The conversation also mentions the lack of correct dimensions in the book's formula.
Alexanddros81
Poster has been reminded to post all schoolwork type questions in the Homework Help forums
Hi!
I have Pytel Mechanics Dynamics 2nd edition and revising for my own purposes (not a homework).
I am trying to solve problem 12.4:

A bead moves along a straight 1500-mm wire that lies along the x-axis. The position of the bead
is given by
x=t2 - 10t mm
where x is measured from the center of the wire, and t is the time in seconds. Determine
a) the time when the bead leaves the wire; and b) the distance traveled by the bead from t=0 until
it leaves the wire

I get (a) to be 32.83sec which is correct according to even-numbered answers given at the back of the
book but (b) is given to be 2000mm which is not what I get. I get 800mm

Can you verify if my answer to (b) is correct or tell me what is your answer of (b)?

Does anyone has all the answers of the book I mentioned?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I get 800 too: t2 - 10t = (t-5)2 - 25 , so it evaluates to -25 mm at t=5 .

I don't have all the answers :frown:

After trying to calculate (b) analytically and failed to get 2000mm
today I differentiated x to get the velocity which is 2t-10. I plotted the graph
and calculated the area of the two triangles. that gave me aproximately 800mm
I used https://www.desmos.com/calculator to do the plot.

Alexanddros81 said:
After trying to calculate (b) analytically
It goes 25 mm to the left and then 775 to the right. 800 mm of travel.
Don't waste much more time on this and move on to the next !

Also note that this book is very sloppy concerning dimensions. The correct formula must read
$$x(t)=\frac{a}{2} t^2 +v t,$$
where ##a## is the constant acceleration and ##v## the initial velocity. In other words the constants in front of ##t## must have the correct dimensions to be a valid formula in physics.

Related to I don't get the same results in a Pytel dynamics problem

1. Why am I not getting the same results in my Pytel dynamics problem as the textbook or other sources?

There could be a few reasons for this discrepancy. One possibility is that you made a mistake in your calculations or input data. Double check your work to see if there are any errors. Another possibility is that you are using a different set of assumptions or parameters in your problem than what is used in the textbook or other sources. Make sure you are using the same set of assumptions and parameters to ensure consistent results.

2. How can I troubleshoot my Pytel dynamics problem to figure out where the error is occurring?

Start by checking your input data and calculations for any mistakes. If everything seems correct, try changing one variable at a time to see how it affects your results. This can help pinpoint where the error may be occurring. You can also try running the problem using different sets of assumptions or parameters to see if that affects your results.

3. Can the type of analysis or solution method used impact the results in a Pytel dynamics problem?

Yes, the type of analysis or solution method used can have an impact on the results in a Pytel dynamics problem. Different methods may give slightly different results due to varying levels of accuracy. It is important to understand the limitations and assumptions of the method you are using and compare your results to those obtained using other methods.

4. Is it common to get different results in a Pytel dynamics problem when using different software or programs?

Yes, it is possible to get different results when using different software or programs for a Pytel dynamics problem. This is because different software may use different algorithms or methods to solve the problem, leading to slight variations in the results. It is important to compare your results to those obtained using other software or programs to ensure accuracy.

5. What can I do if I am still not getting the same results in my Pytel dynamics problem even after checking for errors and using the same assumptions as other sources?

If you are still not getting the same results, it is important to consult with other experts in the field or your instructor for guidance. They may be able to offer insight into the problem or suggest alternative methods to obtain more accurate results. It is also important to thoroughly document your process and any discrepancies in your results for future reference.