I don't know how to use a buck converter....

In summary: is there a specific range of input and output current that the buck converter is supposed to be able to handle when using the specified input and output voltage?
David lopez
you are suppose to be able to vary the output current of a buck converter. how do i vary the output current of a buck converter? i am just trying to make sure i know how to use a buck converter.

Engineering news on Phys.org
David lopez said:
you are suppose to be able to vary the output current of a buck converter

no, not if it isn't designed for that purpose

David lopez said:
how do i vary the output current of a buck converter?

Unless the buck or boost converter specifically has a current limiting circuit as part of it,
most don't, the output current will be determined by the load

Likes berkeman
David lopez said:
i am just trying to make sure i know how to use a buck converter.

so what buck converter IC have you chosen to use ?
Have you looked at the datasheet and determined how it is used ?

so i connect the buck converter to a load, which means it has resistance, and the resistance of the load determines output current?

Likes berkeman
David lopez said:
so i connect the buck converter to a load, which means it has resistance, and the resistance of the load determines output current?

Yes
So, it is then important that the load will not try to draw more current than the converter (buck or boost)
is capable of supplying, else you will let out the "magic smoke"

davenn said:
so what buck converter IC have you chosen to use ?
Have you looked at the datasheet and determined how it is used ?
i didn't settle on any particular model. instead i looked at different models. the seller listed the specs. for example he stated input voltage, output voltage, output current. the seller always gave me a range of current values. so i wondered how do i adjust output current.

have any of you used prebuilt buck converters?

David lopez said:
how do i vary the output current of a buck converter?

What does it mean to vary the output current of a buck converter?

If you use a prebuilt buck converter with a fixed output voltage, the only way is obviously to change the load resistance as long as the output current is still within the rated range.

Also for regulated voltage output converters, the specified current should be the rated maximum output current, rather than supplying a specific amount of current to the load.

David lopez said:
have any of you used prebuilt buck converters?

yes, pretty much the only way I use them. Is extremely rare that I will build one up from scratch
it's just too much work when they are so cheap on ebay and other places :smile:

alan123hk said:

If you use a prebuilt buck converter with a fixed output voltage, the only way is obviously to change the load resistance as long as the output current is still within the rated range.

Also for regulated voltage output converters, the specified current should be the rated maximum output current, rather than supplying a specific amount of current to the load.
Yup, I covered all those points :wink::wink:

davenn said:
Yup, I covered all those points :wink::wink:

I know, I'm just trying to repeat basically the same content in slightly different styles.

alan123hk said:

when i look at buck converter being sold, the specs show a range of different input voltages, a range of different output voltage and a range of different output currents. according to the specs the buck converter can receive different input voltages, can have different output voltages, and can have different output currents.

1. What is a buck converter and how does it work?

A buck converter is a type of DC-DC converter that steps down a higher voltage to a lower voltage. It works by using a switch to control the flow of current through an inductor, which then stores and releases energy to create the desired output voltage.

2. Why would I need to use a buck converter?

Buck converters are commonly used in electronic devices to efficiently regulate and convert power from a battery or power supply to a lower voltage that is suitable for the device's components.

3. How do I choose the right buck converter for my project?

When choosing a buck converter, you should consider factors such as input and output voltage requirements, current and power ratings, efficiency, and size. It is also important to consider the switching frequency and control method of the converter.

4. What are the common mistakes people make when using a buck converter?

One common mistake is not properly calculating the input and output voltage requirements, which can lead to an inefficient or ineffective converter. Another mistake is not taking into account the maximum current and power ratings, which can cause the converter to overheat and fail.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a buck converter?

Yes, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and recommendations when using a buck converter. Make sure to properly ground and insulate the converter to avoid electric shock. It is also important to monitor the temperature and current levels to prevent overheating and potential damage to the converter and other components.