I failed my course and graduation is delayed

• Admissions
  • Thread starter NariCH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, this student feels like a failure and is devastated that he will not be able to graduate this year. He has a spare year and is lost for what to do next. He has questions for the original poster:1. What country are you currently studying in?2. Why are you unable to take additional courses for that extra year, in addition to the course which you failed?3. What are your grades like in the other courses that you've taken? Is there a problem that goes back to the beginning of the semester, or even back a few years?4. Academia isn't going to get any easier of you end up getting into an MSc or a PhD program
NariCH
It's my last year, and I failed one of my courses because I was not well prepared; physics of semiconductors. I cannot graduate this year all I can do is retake this course next semester. My goal was to graduarte and pursue my master degree but I cannot do that anymore.
I feel like a failure and it was all my fault. I'm totally broken and I don't know what to do. My question is, do I still have hope in doing masters and a PhD? Or will these failures stop in the way.. I'm lost and devastated...
Also I will have a spare year ,besides that onr course and no i cannot what take any additional courses at my university :( ,so what do yiu advice me to do that can help me career and study wise?

Physics news on Phys.org
To the OP:

I have some questions for you:

1. What country are you currently studying in?

2. Why are you unable to take additional courses for that extra year, in addition to the course which you failed?

Last edited:
Hi, I study in Lebanon. I cannot take additional course because I study in the public university of lebanon and they have a maximum number of credits you can take in any given program in addition I can only choose courses that are in the physics and electronics department Unfortunately.

Well, that's not a great position to be in, but there's always options. Often you just have to consider what's involved in getting from where you are to where you want to be. And as a big tip, don't allow your academic performance to determine you're self-worth. This might just be a bump in the road as you figure out what you really want and need to be doing.

The first big question that you'll have to figure out is why you failed that course. And take a long hard look at it. Was this a case where you got really sick for a final exam that your entire grade was based on? Or did you really struggle with the material? What are your grades like in the other courses that you've taken? Is there a problem that goes back to the beginning of the semester, or even back a few years? Academia isn't going to get any easier of you end up getting into an MSc or a PhD program. So you have to know that (a) that's actually what you want to do and (b) you're not going to get in and repeat the same cycle.

If you figure that out, the next thing is to consider your options. If you continue on and repeat the course next year without any other courses to worry about - maybe that's a good thing. Maybe you could get a job and save up some money while you study for your final year. Maybe that will give you the opportunity to get involved in some research. Look for the opportunities.

Another option is to transfer to another school that will allow you to take more courses. I know that's not always easy, but if that's what you need to do, then you need to figure out how to make that work.

The other thing is now that you're 'almost' done, you need to have a hard look as well as what your prospects for graduate education really are. One failed class won't necessarily keep you out of a PhD program. What matters is how you've done collectively. If all the other courses were borderline, or even just 'average' then you may have to consider the fact that continuing on in academia just isn't for you. On the other hand if this course is some odd anomaly and otherwise you're an outstanding student - treat it as such.

Likes Klystron and NariCH

1. What should I do if I failed a course and my graduation is delayed?

If you have failed a course and your graduation is delayed, the first thing you should do is talk to your academic advisor. They can help you come up with a plan to retake the course and get back on track for graduation. You can also discuss any potential consequences of failing the course and how to mitigate them.

2. Will failing a course affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

Failing a course can have an impact on your graduate school application, as it may show a lack of academic preparedness or commitment. However, it is not the sole determining factor. Admissions committees also consider other aspects such as letters of recommendation, personal statements, and overall GPA. It is important to address the reason for failing the course in your application and showcase your strengths in other areas.

3. Can I still graduate if I failed one course?

It depends on your school's policies and the requirements for your degree. Some schools may allow you to graduate with one failed course, while others may require you to retake the course or take an equivalent course to fulfill the requirement. It is important to check with your academic advisor or the registrar's office to understand your options.

4. How will failing a course affect my GPA?

Failing a course will significantly lower your GPA, as the grade for the failed course is factored into your overall GPA. The exact impact will depend on the credits of the course and your previous GPA. However, some schools may offer the option to retake the course and replace the failed grade with the new one, which can improve your GPA.

5. Can I appeal my failing grade?

Yes, you can appeal your failing grade if you believe it was unjustified. Most schools have a formal appeal process that you can follow. This may involve submitting documentation or meeting with the instructor and/or a review board. It is important to have a valid reason for your appeal, such as an error in grading or extenuating circumstances that affected your performance in the course.