I feel like I am very stupid and different from normal people

In summary: I am trying to learn about it myself. Its very hard to understand why but easy to apply, why are people learning things without understanding the concept behind it? I asked many of my classmates but they didnt understand. They laughed when I was carrying a book on physics because we don't even do basic physics.I also borrowed a book on algorithms but often need a lot of extra context to be motivated to study subjects. They really don't care about this stuff. .Often when I ask questions in class, people laugh at them, so I stopped asking. What can I do? Am I more brain damanged than I think? I don't think university or any place is the place for me. I never see others
Logical Dog
Often when I ask questions in class, people laugh at them, so I stopped asking. What can I do? Am I more brain damanged than I think? I don't think university or any place is the place for me. I never see others or met others who talk or think like me, it makes me very angry and sad. Yesterday in class I asked why in terms of charge flow do we say power is absorbed across a circuit element when the voltage across positive to negative is > 0 and the positive current enters at the + terminal and leaves out the negative, everyone laughed.(WT...)

I don't understand this aspect of circuit modelling (the logic behind it) and they did not even teach us about electric fields or other basic electromagnetics, so I am trying to learn abotu it myself. Its very hard to understand why but easy to apply, why are people learning things without understanding the concept behind it? I asked many of my classmates but they didnt understand. They laughed when I was carrying a book on physics because we don't even do basic physics.

I also borrowed a book on algorithms even though we are learning C, I often need a lot of extra context to be motivated to study subjects and they really don't care about this stuff. I don't know what I really want in life I am often depressed or hyper but rarely stable and it hurts me because I am a burden on my family and everyone around me. They have invested in me heavily but I can't seem to give any kind of success in return. I studying economics for one year before dropping it, I was really passionate about it and liked the modelling in mathematics of those situations. .

I would like to study mathematics but I am sure I would be crushed by the load. I know this post doesen't make sense but I am wondering if anyone has ever felth this way too? completely lost in life sometimes. Makes me angry!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolar Demon said:
Often when I ask questions in class, people laugh at them, so I stopped asking. What can I do? Am I more brain damanged than I think? I don't think university or any place is the place for me. I never see others or met others who talk or think like me, it makes me very angry and sad.
I had a professor who said: There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers!

O.k. this is debatable, but questioning and curiosity are so important that a couple of funny questions shouldn't count. You could try to ask those who are laughing to answer them instead. I don't know the examples you experienced or have in mind, but there is a good chance you simply think differently and the others laugh, because it's easier for them than to think and follow your thoughts. Cheap, if you ask me.

I remember a similar experience. We had to write a test about the lyrics of a song in our English class and I managed to be the only one who had a completely different interpretation than all the rest. I probably have read something into it that wasn't there. And of course the teacher took mine to be discussed afterwards. Happens. And yes, it was kind of embarrassing.

Whether a university is a place for you or not? I don't think you can already judge this. On one hand studying is a lot of personal work on books and transcripts from the lectures, and on the other hand there will be probably more of your kind than anywhere else. And depending on the faculty, likely more tolerant than those at school.

And concerning others who understand you or not: I remember we were a small group and left a pizzeria where we had a meal. I made a joke and someone laughed, and someone didn't. The guy who didn't asked the guy who did, whether he had understood my remark. And he answered: "No. I only have learned when to laugh."

So don't give up. Some will learn when to laugh.

Likes Fervent Freyja, S.G. Janssens and Logical Dog
Bipolar Demon said:
Often when I ask questions in class, people laugh at them, so I stopped asking. What can I do? Am I more brain damanged than I think? I don't think university or any place is the place for me. I never see others or met others who talk or think like me, it makes me very angry and sad. Yesterday in class I asked why in terms of charge flow do we say power is absorbed across a circuit element when the voltage across positive to negative is > 0 and the positive current enters at the + terminal and leaves out the negative, everyone laughed.(WT...)

I don't understand this aspect of circuit modelling (the logic behind it) and they did not even teach us about electric fields or other basic electromagnetics, so I am trying to learn abotu it myself. Its very hard to understand why but easy to apply, why are people learning things without understanding the concept behind it? I asked many of my classmates but they didnt understand. They laughed when I was carrying a book on physics because we don't even do basic physics.

I also borrowed a book on algorithms even though we are learning C, I often need a lot of extra context to be motivated to study subjects and they really don't care about this stuff. I don't know what I really want in life I am often depressed or hyper but rarely stable and it hurts me because I am a burden on my family and everyone around me. They have invested in me heavily but I can't seem to give any kind of success in return. I studying economics for one year before dropping it, I was really passionate about it and liked the modelling in mathematics of those situations. .

I would like to study mathematics but I am sure I would be crushed by the load. I know this post doesen't make sense but I am wondering if anyone has ever felth this way too? completely lost in life sometimes. Makes me angry!
You seem to be really interested in science. That's really great!:smile:
I remember facing a similar problem during my school and early college years. I saw a couple of my friends being made fun of for asking questions in class and that de-motivated me from asking any question in the class. Many of my friends and classmates really don't care about the stuff which I'm curious about. But if you are interested in something, you need not care about these things. There are thousand other ways to get knowledge. I am glad you found PF. Here you can discuss your questions with those who are genuinely interested in the subject. I myself spend a lot of time here and interact with people having similar interests. This makes me happy and I don't worry about me being different from my friends and their lack of interest in what I like.
Enjoy hanging out here on PF!:smile:

Likes Logical Dog
cnh1995 said:
You seem to be really interested in science. That's really great!:smile:
I remember facing a similar problem during my school and early college years. I saw a couple of my friends being made fun of for asking questions in class and that de-motivated me from asking any question in the class. Many of my friends and classmates really don't care about the stuff which I'm curious about. But if you are interested in something, you need not care about these things. There are thousand other ways to get knowledge. I am glad you found PF. Here you can discuss your questions with those who are genuinely interested in the subject. I myself spend a lot of time here and interact with people having similar interests. This makes me happy and I don't worry about me being different from my friends and their lack of interest in what I like.
Enjoy hanging out here on PF!:smile:
fresh_42 said:
I had a professor who said: There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers!

, whether he had understood my remark. And he answered: "No. I only have learned when to laugh."

So don't give up. Some will learn when to laugh.
I am not sure if others are understanding or not but in most lectures if i don't go prepare i feel like a moron. if they allowed me to ask everything the lectyre would get interrupted a lot.

Bipolar Demon said:
im not sure if others are understanding or not but in most lectures if i don't go prepare i feel like a moron. if they allowed me to ask everything the lectyre would get interrupted a lot.'
It is not necessary to understand each and everything "during" the lecture. You can just take notes and think about it after the class or discuss your queries with the lecturer. I don't think interrupting the lecturer a lot is a good practice.

Likes symbolipoint and fresh_42
cnh1995 said:
It is not necessary to understand each and everything "during" the lecture. You can just take notes and think about it after the class or discuss your queries with the lecturer. I don't think interrupting the lecturer a lot is a good practice.
no i rarely do. thank s. i am very unstable. what i wouldn't give to be rid of this stupid mental illness.

Bipolar Demon said:
no i rarely do.
Well, now you can ask as many questions as you want here on PF. I understand it is irritating to see your classmates just accepting things without trying to understand them and not caring about it at all. But that shouldn't make you feel depressed. Maybe they have some different goals in life. If you like algorithms, study it thouroughly. There is no need to feel "brain damaged" because you need some extra material. It actually means you want to master the subject. Passing an exam is an easy task, while mastering the subject is the real achievement. I myself used to get mocked for being "nerdy" or "studious" in our C perogramming lab because I spent many hours there writing a variety of codes while others would just type the already given codes, compile, run and leave. I had the same feeling as you did. Our lab instructor too was pathetic. But now my department uses those numerical methods codes written by me for C programming lab as model codes. That felt like an achievement. Plus, I got to do the hardware interfacing and coding part successfully in an embedded systems project in electrical power system. This could get me a job in my dream companies.
So, keep up your way of studying. It will surely pay off!

Likes S.G. Janssens
Bipolar Demon said:
I would like to study mathematics but I am sure I would be crushed by the load.
Why are you sure about this? Thinking back about myself during my early studies, I was pretty crushed by the workload in a horrible compulsory electronics practicum that asked me to just plug and switch random elements without understanding what I was doing, setting multiple circuits on fire in the process. It took me a long time before I once again perceived electrical engineering as the respectable field that it is.

You used to have an interesting remark in your profile, urging people who want to study mathematics to... study mathematics, not engineering instead. You also wrote that you regard electrical engineering as a form of applied mathematics. Unfortunately, you deleted those remarks. I did agree with them, to some extent. So, please take your own advice to heart.

Also, please delete the "failure in life" thing there, for it is nonsense. Your life is just beginning and you are learning how to direct it in a way that pleases you.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42 and Logical Dog
Krylov said:
Why are you sure about this? Thinking back about myself during my early studies, I was pretty crushed by the workload in a horrible compulsory electronics practicum that asked me to just plug and switch random elements without understanding what I was doing, setting multiple circuits on fire in the process. It took me a long time before I once again perceived electrical engineering as the respectable field that it is.

You used to have an interesting remark in your profile, urging people who want to study mathematics to... study mathematics, not engineering instead. You also wrote that you regard electrical engineering as a form of applied mathematics. Unfortunately, you deleted those remarks. I did agree with them, to some extent. So, please take your own advice to heart.

Also, please delete the "failure in life" thing there, for it is nonsense. Your life is just beginning and you are learning how to direct it in a way that pleases you.

I always laugh when someone on here (and they will) asks "will I study quantum mechanics and/or advanced math in my non physics/non math degree?gnih" more so now that I have begun studying at university. But maybe in the US people are more free to choose modules and minors as such.

Yes electronics is something to do with graph theory and other axioms, physics, calculus and some other stuff, but mostly mathematics. Any other dimension except the mathematical seems to be a complete mystery to me :D

ok I will delete it. Thanks for the motivation.

Last edited:
Likes S.G. Janssens
But on a deeper level..it tells me that people are facing two opposing forces, one is the somewhat false expectation and image created by society and parents, and the other is their own personal desire. Please study what you want...if you don't and go for a more "practical(read vocationally oriented)" option you will not enjoy it.not as if I understand much of math anyway:D I just know a few math books and stuff. I try to learn and don't want to give up on it. But I really need my medicines now, hope to get them arranged by next week.

Bipolar Demon said:
Any other dimension except the mathematical seems to be a complete mystery to me :D
I feel more or less the same way, but it never ceases to fascinate me that apparently the mathematics that I love can be put to such good use in those "other dimensions". Very "pure" mathematics does not have this appeal to me.
Bipolar Demon said:
But I really need my medicines now, hope to get them arranged by next week.
If your name is an indication of your condition, then I urge you to do so and use them while under proper doctor's care. Take care of yourself, too.

Likes cnh1995 and Logical Dog
Krylov said:
I feel more or less the same way, but it never ceases to fascinate me that apparently the mathematics that I love can be put to such good use in those "other dimensions". Very "pure" mathematics does not have this appeal to me.

If your name is an indication of your condition, then I urge you to do so and use them while under proper doctor's care. Take care of yourself, too.
The problem is it is not so visible and physically intuitive as kinematics and mechanics which I studied in school. I have been off the medicines for two months almost now, all the useless thinking, aggression/rage, and mood swings among other demonic tendencies have returned. It is clear that I need to be on them for the remainder of my life.

Talk to your school counselors, see if they offer counseling and tutors and many have psychiatrists and psychologists available. Don't try to do this on your own if you feel overwhelmed, get help.

Good luck to you, unfortunately we cannot help you. Thread closed.

Evo said:
Thread closed.
You forgot the...

Padlock.jpg

Likes phinds and Logical Dog
sorry, I am a loose character sometimes, and needed to rant. thank you moderator..pls close the thread. :)

Ok, now it's closed.

1. Why do I feel like I am very stupid?

Feeling stupid can stem from a variety of factors, such as low self-esteem, past experiences, or mental health issues. It is important to identify the root cause of these feelings in order to address and overcome them.

2. Am I actually less intelligent than others?

No, feeling stupid does not necessarily mean that you are less intelligent than others. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, and intelligence is not solely measured by academic performance.

3. What is considered "normal" in terms of intelligence?

There is no one definition of "normal" intelligence. Intelligence can be measured in various ways, such as IQ tests, emotional intelligence, or multiple intelligences. It is important to recognize and value different forms of intelligence.

4. How can I overcome these feelings of being different from others?

It may be helpful to seek therapy or counseling to work through these feelings and develop coping mechanisms. It is also important to surround yourself with supportive and understanding individuals who can help you embrace your uniqueness.

5. Can these feelings of being stupid and different be changed?

Yes, with self-reflection, support, and potentially professional help, it is possible to overcome these negative feelings and develop a more positive self-perception. It takes time and effort, but it is possible to change these thought patterns and learn to appreciate your individuality.