I have a frequency response diagram(frequency vs head) of discrete

In summary: Fig. 2.sorry for my poor english.In summary, the authors use a frequency response diagram to detect discrete blockages in pipelines. They transform the time domain data into the frequency domain and look for peak values. They then invert the frequency domain data and perform the Fourier transform.
narendra_p
I have a frequency response diagram(frequency vs head) of discrete values. I have to perform Fourier analysis on these discrete values. The resultant frequency and head should be in FREQUENCY DOMAIN. how I can do this... by using FFT or any other ... using Nyquist frequency... please tell me.. send me any link if available.

Engineering news on Phys.org

May be you can try with Xmgrace (free software)..or do you have some software ?

no.. i don't have software... i m searching on net but i get FFT and IFFT... means if i apply on frequency domain... result in time domain.. and vice versa. but I need result in frequency domain...

What you are saying doesn't make sense. The Fourier transform will always take you from time domain to frequency domain, and the inverse Fourier transform will always take you back from frequency domain to time domain. If you have the data in the frequency domain and you want the results in the frequency domain then there is no need to do a Fourier transform - the decomposition into Fourier components has already been done.

In Fourier analysis, normally one makes the transformation from time domain to frequency domain, or vice verse. I think your data is already in frequency domain ? (you mentioned frequency response diagram). So try xmgrace (free) or at least origin (not free but demo version is available) should have that option. Writing your own codes is really efficient but time consuming.
Good luck

Edit:phyzguy already pointed out.

Or may be are you talking about convolution stuff ?

no.. can u give me ur email Id. I will send u a journal paper where on page no.4, this is explained. It will be more convenient...
FRD is frequency response diagram. they select frequencies corresponding to peak values of FRD. then they apply Fourier transform. results are shown in diagram 3 and 4.

Just give the doi of that paper. Atleast the journal and author name with volume, number page number and year.
I will try to read it i have access.

If u can open directly then.. this is link.. http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=JHEND8000134000005000658000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes Title: Discrete Blockage Detection in Pipelines Using
the Frequency Response Diagram: Numerical Study
Authors: Pedro J. Lee1; John P. Vítkovský2; Martin F. Lambert3; Angus R. Simpson4; and James A. Liggett5...
Journal of Hydraulic Engineering,
Vol. 134, No. 5, May 1, 2008. ©ASCE, ISSN 0733-9429/2008/5-
658–663 ....

see on page no. 4 .

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,
I don't know more about frequency response diagram. But for me it seems that figure 2 is in time domain. I guess that the authors just transformed the time domain (fig. 2) into frequency domain (figs. 3 and 4) with some special methods given on 661 (itemized from 1 to 5). Moreover in table 1, they have chosen three 'Blockage position' arbitrarily (three places in fig. 1) using formula 2.
May be some civil engg. can help you.

Thanks... but fig. 2 is in frequency domain.they pick all peak values of this type diagrams and they invert them.. then they apply Fourier transform... resultant diagram 3 and 4 is in frequency domain.

This is my doubt. It doent make anything t convert freq. into freq. ! Figs. 3 and 4 are freq. domain. I doubt Fig. 2. It looks like a time domain one.

no.. i m sure.. its in frequency domain(frequency vs head)... in time domain, i have different diagram(time vs head), not mentioned in this paper.

Related to I have a frequency response diagram(frequency vs head) of discrete

What is a frequency response diagram?

A frequency response diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between frequency and a system's response, typically shown as a plot of frequency on the horizontal axis and the corresponding response (such as head or amplitude) on the vertical axis.

How is a frequency response diagram obtained?

A frequency response diagram is typically obtained through experimentation or simulation. The system's response is measured at various frequencies, and these data points are then plotted on the diagram to create a curve or line.

What information can be obtained from a frequency response diagram?

A frequency response diagram can provide information about a system's frequency range, gain or attenuation at different frequencies, and any resonant frequencies or frequency-dependent behaviors.

What are the common applications of a frequency response diagram?

Frequency response diagrams are commonly used in many fields, including electrical engineering, acoustics, and signal processing. They can be used to design and analyze systems, troubleshoot issues, and optimize performance.

How do discrete systems differ from continuous systems in terms of frequency response diagrams?

Discrete systems have a finite number of input and output values, while continuous systems have an infinite number of values. This means that the frequency response diagram for a discrete system will have discrete data points, while a continuous system will have a continuous curve. Additionally, the frequency range of a discrete system may be limited by the sampling rate, while a continuous system can theoretically cover all frequencies.