I have a question about Newton's Method

In summary, plotting the graph of the function helps in estimating the approximate value of x1 for Newton's Method.
gungun8799
Hi, guys, I have a questions to ask you about Newton's Method.
I knew that Newton's Method was used to estimate the true value of the root of the real number by analysis the graph of that particular function, but I just wonder that do I have to plot the graph of the function everytime I want to use Newton's method, my understanding was 'yes', I think that ploting the graph help me to know "what value" will be used to be x1 or the approximate answer I was looking for, I'm I right or wrong ?

suppose the problem wants me to find x intersect of f(x) = x^7-1000 by using Newton's Method

Do I have to plot this graph first in order to approximate the value of x1
Thank you so much, sir !

Physics news on Phys.org
gungun8799 said:
Hi, guys, I have a questions to ask you about Newton's Method.
I knew that Newton's Method was used to estimate the true value of the root of the real number by analysis the graph of that particular function, but I just wonder that do I have to plot the graph of the function everytime I want to use Newton's method, my understanding was 'yes', I think that ploting the graph help me to know "what value" will be used to be x1 or the approximate answer I was looking for, I'm I right or wrong ?

suppose the problem wants me to find x intersect of f(x) = x^7-1000 by using Newton's Method

Do I have to plot this graph first in order to approximate the value of x1
Thank you so much, sir !

No, usually plotting is out of the question. For example, some optimization codes may apply Newton's Method as subroutines, but cannot look at plots because they are inanimate computer programs. For certain classes of functions, we know that Newton will always work, starting from any point; for other types of functions, we know that Newton can fail spectacularly if the wrong initial point is chosen. Usually, computer codes do not apply "pure" Newton, but rather, a form of "safeguarded Newton", that tries to guard against failure. These are safer, but slower than pure Newton methods.

However, when solving problems one-by-one manually (although using software to assist you) a plot is usually advisable.

Your example function f(x) = x^7-1000 is "strictly convex", at least in the interval x >= 0, so as long as roundoff errors do not give you negative x values, you should get rapid convergence from *any* positive starting point (try it and see).

RGV

Thank you very very much Mr.Ray, your post helps me a lot...^_^

What is Newton's Method?

Newton's Method is an iterative mathematical algorithm used to find the roots of a given equation. It is named after Sir Isaac Newton, who first described the method in the late 17th century.

How does Newton's Method work?

The method involves starting with an initial guess for the root of an equation and using the slope of the equation at that point to iteratively refine the guess until a more accurate root is found. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

What are the advantages of using Newton's Method?

Newton's Method is a relatively simple and efficient way to find the roots of an equation, especially when compared to other numerical methods. It also has a fast convergence rate, meaning it can find solutions quickly.

What are the limitations of Newton's Method?

One limitation of Newton's Method is that it may not always converge to the desired root, especially if the initial guess is not close enough to the actual root. It also requires knowledge of the derivative of the equation, which may not always be readily available.

In what fields is Newton's Method commonly used?

Newton's Method has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, finance, and computer science. It is often used to solve complex equations where traditional algebraic methods may be difficult or impossible to use.