I have an idea for a gasoline powerd fridge, need input.

In summary, the conversation discusses an idea for a 5HP engine with an electric starter that automatically starts using a coil thermostat and relays. The idea includes a basic rundown of how the startup process would work and mentions the possibility of using a second thermostat to shut off the circuit. The conversation also brings up safety concerns for using gas engines indoors.
masshuku
So last night, a bit on the tipsy side, I drew this on paper(then in paint) and I don't see why It would not work. I'm not really an engineer so I'm not sure if there's some flaw in my logic.
The idea is based on a 5HP engine with an electric starter. It automatically starts the engine using a coil thermostat and some relays.
If people think it will work, ill go try to find the parts and stuff needed for cheap/free and build it.

I know a picture is worth a thousand words.
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3784/ideag.png

The symbols and such are sort of just off the top of my head, apart from 1 I got from wikipedia.

Basic rundown of how a startup occurs:

Thermostat gap closes, begins to power 2 relays. The first opens a kill switch(or closes it depending on how the engine operates) and the second powers the exciter on the alternator.

The current then runs through a third relay and into the starter solenoid, passing through a thermistor(to kill the starter motor if it runs to long, aka the thermistor warms up to much)

After the engine starts the output is run through 2 diodes, one goes back to the battery and the other goes to that third relay to cut power to the starter.

I could attach a second thermostat to the thermistor so that it kills the entire circuit until the thermistor cools down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure, you could make a thermostat controlled start of a gas engine. But not the way you said.

But this is for outdoor use only, correct? Gas engines indoors are deadly.

1. How does a gasoline powered fridge work?

A gasoline powered fridge works by using a small gasoline engine to power a compressor, which compresses a refrigerant gas and circulates it through a series of coils. As the gas expands, it cools down and absorbs heat from the inside of the fridge, keeping the contents cool.

2. Is a gasoline powered fridge safe to use?

Safety is a top priority when designing any appliance, especially one that involves a flammable fuel like gasoline. Proper safety measures and precautions must be taken to ensure the safe use of a gasoline powered fridge, such as proper ventilation and regular maintenance.

3. What are the potential benefits of a gasoline powered fridge?

A gasoline powered fridge could potentially provide a more cost-effective and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional electric fridges. Gasoline is generally cheaper and more readily available in many areas, and using it to power a fridge could reduce electricity consumption and carbon emissions.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a gasoline powered fridge?

One potential drawback of using a gasoline powered fridge is the noise level from the small engine. However, with proper insulation and muffling techniques, this can be minimized. Additionally, regular maintenance and fuel costs may be more of a hassle compared to an electric fridge.

5. What are some potential design considerations for a gasoline powered fridge?

Design considerations for a gasoline powered fridge would include how to safely incorporate the gasoline engine, ensuring proper ventilation and cooling, and finding a way to store and refill the gasoline in a convenient and safe manner. It would also be important to consider the size and weight of the fridge and engine for practical use.