I have problem with a mirror on Michelson interferometer

In summary, a Michelson interferometer is an optical instrument used to measure small changes in distance between two surfaces. The mirror is a crucial component of the interferometer, and any imperfections or misalignments can affect the accuracy of measurements. Common problems with the mirror include scratches, dust particles, and misalignments, which can be troubleshooted by checking for visible damage or adjusting the position/cleaning the mirror. The mirror should be replaced if it is significantly damaged or unable to reflect light properly.
Nikola0123
My students and I tried to create a Michelson inerferometer like yours (08557.00).
The problem is with a mirror that moves.
How did you solve this precise translatory movement?
Professor of Physics Nikola Gledić - Technical school Šabac, Serbia
Thanks in advantage!

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, professor.
Nikola0123 said:
My students and I tried to create a Michelson interferometer like yours (08557.00).
Can you post a link?

Is it like the one found in this manual?

https://www.pmf.unizg.hr/_download/repository/Michelsonov_Interferometar_1.pdf

From, https://www.google.com/search?q=08557.00&oq=08557.00&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

upload_2018-5-18_18-44-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-18_18-44-17.png
    upload_2018-5-18_18-44-17.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 461
Likes berkeman

What is a Michelson interferometer?

A Michelson interferometer is an optical instrument used to measure small changes in the distance between two surfaces. It works by splitting a beam of light into two paths, reflecting them off of mirrors, and then recombining them to create an interference pattern.

How does the mirror on a Michelson interferometer affect the results?

The mirror is a critical component of the Michelson interferometer as it reflects the light back towards the beamsplitter. Any imperfections or misalignments in the mirror can cause distortions in the interference pattern and affect the accuracy of the measurements.

What are some common problems with a mirror on a Michelson interferometer?

Some common problems with the mirror on a Michelson interferometer include scratches, dust particles, and misalignments. These can result in fluctuations in the interference pattern and lead to inaccurate measurements.

How can I troubleshoot issues with the mirror on a Michelson interferometer?

To troubleshoot issues with the mirror on a Michelson interferometer, you can start by checking for any visible damage or debris on the mirror's surface. You can also try adjusting the mirror's position or cleaning it carefully with a soft cloth if needed.

When should I replace the mirror on a Michelson interferometer?

If the mirror is significantly damaged or has severe misalignments that cannot be corrected, it may need to be replaced. Additionally, if the mirror is unable to reflect light properly, it can affect the accuracy of the measurements and should be replaced.