I hope this helps,Stephen La Rocque.

• MHB
  • Thread starter jamescv31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary: Re: Intercept Form 3 Question ProblemsOh, so by solving the equation. I understand it now. Thank you, for your help!
jamescv31
Greetings everyone, I need a help since the lecture of intercept form formula is \(\displaystyle X/A + Y/B = 1\) are provied as limited examples and couldn't find exact information regarding for that.

6) Reduce the equation \(\displaystyle 2x+3y = -1\) to intercept form.

7) find the equation of the line whose slope is 3x the y-intercept through (3,20)

8) Find the equation of the line through (6, -3) and whose intercepts add to 10.

Note: I'm trying to answer these questions however couldn't guarantee if its a correct.

Thank you.

(The intercept form that I'm referring is involved on the straight line)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Intercept Form 3 Question Problems

Hello, jamescv31!

Intercept form: .[tex]\frac{x}{a} + \frac{y}{b} \:=\:1[/tex]

(6) Reduce the equation [tex]2x+3y \:=\: -1[/tex] to intercept form.

Multiply by -1: .[tex]-2x - 3y \:=\:1[/tex]

Therefore: .[tex]\frac{x}{\text{-}\frac{1}{2}} + \frac{y}{\text{-}\frac{1}{3}} \:=\:1[/tex]
(7) Find the equation of the line with slope 3 times the y-intercept
and through the point (3, 20).
[tex]\frac{x}{a} + \frac{y}{b} \:=\:1 \quad \Longleftrightarrow\quad bx + ay \:=\:ab[/tex] .[1]

The slope is: .[tex]m \,=\,-\frac{b}{a}[/tex]

We have: .[tex]-\frac{b}{a} \:=\:3b \quad\Rightarrow\quad a \,=\,-\tfrac{1}{3}[/tex]

Substitute into [1]: .[tex]bx - \tfrac{1}{3}y \:=\:\text{-}\tfrac{1}{3}b[/tex]

Substitute (3, 20): .[tex]3b - \tfrac{20}{3} \:=\:\text{-}\tfrac{1}{3}b \quad\Rightarrow\quad b = 2[/tex]

Therefore: .[tex]\frac{x}{\text{-}\frac{1}{3}} + \frac{y}{2} \:=\:1[/tex]

(8) Find the equation of the line through (6, -3)
and whose intercepts add to 10.
There are two solutions.We have: .[tex]bx + ay \:=\:ab[/tex]

Substitute (6,-3): .[tex]6b - 3a \:=\:ab[/tex] .[1]

We have: .[tex]a + b \:=\:10 \quad \Rightarrow\quad b \:=\:10-a[/tex]

Substitute into [1]: .[tex]6(10-a) - 3a \:=\:a(10-a) [/tex]

. . [tex]60 - 6a - 3a \:=\:10a - a^2[/tex]

. . [tex]a^2 - 19a + 60\:=\:0 \quad \Rightarrow\quad (a-4)(a-15) \:=\:0[/tex]

Hence: .[tex]\begin{Bmatrix}a&=&4 \\ b&=&6\end{Bmatrix}\quad\begin{Bmatrix}a&=&15 \\ b &=&\text{-}5 \end{Bmatrix}[/tex]

Therefore: .[tex]\frac{x}{4} + \frac{y}{6} \:=\:1\;\text{ and }\; \frac{x}{15} - \frac{y}{5} \:=\:1[/tex]

Hello and welcome to MHB, jamescv31. (Sun)

I need to mention to you that we ask that no more than two questions be asked in a single thread. This helps prevent a thread from potentially becoming convoluted and hard to follow in the case where more than one helper may be trying to help with different problems at the same time. This helps keep MHB more organized and useful for everyone. (Nerd)

Best Regards,

Mark.

MarkFL: Sorry about that, well next time I'm going to post a question which is really hard for me to understand very well prior for the rules n this forum. :)

On number 7) the given of the slope is 3x, my mistaken to posted it but is there a difference on the answer?

jamescv31 said:
On number 7) the given of the slope is 3x, my mistaken to posted it but is there a difference on the answer?

The slope of a straight line cannot vary, it must be constant. :D

Yes, so it means "3x" or "3 times" are the same though on the given y-intercept?

Last edited:

jamescv31 said:
Yes, so it means 3x or 3 times are the same though on the given y-intercept?

I believe soroban correctly interpreted the problem to say the value of the line's slope is 3 times that of the line's $y$-intercept.

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle 3b - \tfrac{20}{3} \:=\:\text{-}\tfrac{1}{3}b \quad\Rightarrow\quad b = 2\)

To get the answer of \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \frac{x}{\text{-}\frac{1}{3}} + \frac{y}{2} \:=\:1\)

I have a question regarding to this solution on number 7: where did the b = 2 came from? I've already understand the rest.

jamescv31 said:
\(\displaystyle \displaystyle 3b - \tfrac{20}{3} \:=\:\text{-}\tfrac{1}{3}b \quad\Rightarrow\quad b = 2\)

To get the answer of \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \frac{x}{\text{-}\frac{1}{3}} + \frac{y}{2} \:=\:1\)

I have a question regarding to this solution on number 7: where did the b = 2 came from? I've already understand the rest.

We have:

\(\displaystyle 3b-\frac{20}{3}=-\frac{1}{3}b\)

Multiply through by 3 to obtain:

\(\displaystyle 9b-20=-b\)

Add $b+20$ to both sides:

\(\displaystyle 10b=20\)

Divide through by 10:

\(\displaystyle b=2\)

1. What is the intercept form?

The intercept form is a way of writing a linear equation in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. This form is useful for graphing and solving equations.

2. How do you find the x-intercept using intercept form?

To find the x-intercept using intercept form, set y equal to 0 and solve for x. This will give you the point where the graph crosses the x-axis.

3. Can you convert a linear equation in standard form to intercept form?

Yes, you can convert a linear equation in standard form (ax + by = c) to intercept form by solving for y and rearranging the terms. The resulting equation will be in the form of y = mx + b, where m and b are constants.

4. What is the significance of the y-intercept in intercept form?

The y-intercept in intercept form represents the point where the graph crosses the y-axis. It is the value of y when x is equal to 0. This point is useful for graphing and solving equations.

5. Can you have more than one y-intercept in intercept form?

No, there can only be one y-intercept in intercept form. This is because the y-intercept is a single point on the y-axis, and every line can only intersect the y-axis at one point.