What is the equation of a line passing through (6, -3) with a y-intercept of 8?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, to find an equation of the line passing through (6, -3) and having a y-intercept of 8, we first need to find the slope by using the point-slope formula. Then, we can rearrange the equation in slope-intercept form to get our final answer of y = mx + b.
mathdad
Find an equation of the line passing through (6, -3) and has y-intercept 8. Express final answer in the form y = mx + b.

If it has y-intercept 8, this means the point (0, 8).

I now have 2 points.

1. Find the slope

2. Use the point-slope formula

3. Solve for y

Correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A line passing through the point:

\(\displaystyle \left(x_1,y_1\right)\)

And having the $y$-intercept $b$, expressed in slope intercept form, will be:

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{y_1-b}{x_1}x+b\)

Is my information correct?

RTCNTC said:
Is my information correct?

Essentially, although I would change step 3 to read "Arrange in slope-intercept form." It's not enough to just solve for y, because we could have solved for y but not used the slope-intercept form, such as:

\(\displaystyle y=m(x-a)+b\)

We would want to arrange this as:

\(\displaystyle y=mx+(b-ma)\)

By solving for y I meant slope-intercept form y = mx + b.

1. What is "Find An Equation....1"?

"Find An Equation....1" is a scientific method used to determine the relationship between two variables using data points. It involves finding a mathematical equation that best describes the pattern of the data.

2. How do you find an equation using "Find An Equation....1"?

To find an equation using "Find An Equation....1", you need to have a set of data points that represent the relationship between the two variables. Then, you can use a variety of mathematical techniques, such as linear regression or curve fitting, to determine the best equation that fits the data.

3. What type of data can be used with "Find An Equation....1"?

"Find An Equation....1" can be used with any type of data that involves two variables that are believed to have a relationship. This can include scientific data, economic data, or even social data.

4. What are the benefits of using "Find An Equation....1" in scientific research?

"Find An Equation....1" can help scientists understand and describe the relationship between two variables, which can lead to a better understanding of a phenomenon or process. It can also be used to make predictions or extrapolations based on the data.

5. Are there any limitations to using "Find An Equation....1"?

Yes, there are limitations to using "Find An Equation....1". The data used must accurately represent the relationship between the two variables, and any outliers or errors in the data can affect the accuracy of the equation. Additionally, the equation may only be valid within the range of the data points, and may not accurately predict values outside of that range.