I lack the competence in basic physics

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of finding the final velocity of a bike rider experiencing a 40N head wind for 12 seconds. The solution involved using the equation F=ΔP/Δt=ma to find the change in momentum, which can then be divided by the mass to get the final velocity. The final answer was approximately 3.4m/s.
CaptainUno

Homework Statement

A bike and its rider have a total mass of 86kg. If the rider is coasting on level ground at 9m/s and a 40N head wind acts on the rider for 12 seconds. What is the final velocity of the rider?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assumption (Converting the Air resistance to velocity) : 40N x 12s = 480
480/86kg= 5.58m/s
9m/s - 5.58m/s = 3.42m/s is this correct or am I using the wrong equations

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks correct to me.

$$\int_0^{12} 40 dt= 40*12=480$$ so we have
Next because the above is impulse, and impulse is equal to $$\Delta{p}$$ which is $$mv$$. Rearranging the equation $$480=m \Delta{v}$$

$$\frac{480}{mass} = \Delta{v}$$ where $$\Delta{v} = v_f-v_i$$

For your problem, we have
$$\Delta{v} = 9-\frac{480}{86} \approx 3.4$$

The paragraph below is incorrect.

[strike]Now we have the change in velocity. Subtract 5.6 from 9, which you did, and you should have the correct answer. [/strike]

NOtE: your problem has only 1 significant figure. So technically $$v_f \approx 3$$

Last edited:
(I'm assuming you know Momentum = mass*velocity)Have you ever heard the following definition of force? "Force is change in momentum per (change in) time"
(in math: [itex]F=\frac{ΔP}{Δt}=m\frac{Δv}{Δt}=ma[/itex])

This means if you multiply the force by the time you will get the change in momentum
([itex]40\cdot 12=480[/itex])

Subtract that (because it's in the opposite direction) from the original momentum and you will have final momentum of the bike rider
(And then divide by the mass to get the final speed)

[itex]\frac{9\cdot 86-480}{86}=9-\frac{480}{86}=3.42[/itex]

Your answer was correct but it's good to understand why what you did works.

Last edited:
[strike]I believe 9-(480)/86 isn't 3.4. It's 5.6.[/strike]

But I like your explanation better than mine :)

Edit : nvm your math is correct

Shinaolord said:
I believe 9-(480)/86 isn't 3.4. It's 5.6.

So you're saying 480/86 is about 3.4? My calculator disagrees :smile:

Nathanael said:
So you're saying 480/86 is about 3.4?
Edited; I was wrong. I had done something wron in my first post. Apologies
I messed up with My calculator. somehow :0

1. What is the definition of "competence in basic physics"?

The competence in basic physics refers to the ability to understand and apply fundamental concepts and principles of physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and optics.

2. Why is it important to have competence in basic physics?

Having competence in basic physics is important because it provides a foundation for understanding the natural world and solving real-world problems. It also opens up opportunities for careers in various fields, such as engineering, medicine, and research.

3. What are some signs that I lack competence in basic physics?

Some signs that you lack competence in basic physics may include struggling to grasp basic concepts and equations, difficulty applying physics principles to real-world situations, and low performance in physics-related courses or tasks.

4. Can I improve my competence in basic physics?

Yes, competence in basic physics can be improved through practice, studying, and seeking help from teachers or tutors. It may also be helpful to approach physics with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn and understand the subject.

5. How can I develop a better understanding of basic physics concepts?

Developing a better understanding of basic physics concepts involves actively engaging with the material, such as through practice problems and experiments, seeking clarification when needed, and connecting concepts to real-world examples. It may also be helpful to break down complex ideas into smaller, more manageable parts.