I need a hand with this integral? probably not even that difficult?

In summary, the author is trying to integrate e^{-\frac r R}\sin\left(\frac{qr}{h}\right) between r=0 and r=\infty but keeps getting stuck. He has tried different integrals and substitution methods, but is still having trouble. He has found that integrating by parts a second time and then solving for the integral gives him the same result as he started with.
jeebs
Hi,
I need to evaluate [tex]\int e\stackrel{-(r/R)}{}sin(qr/h)dr[/tex] between r=0 and r=[tex]\infty[/tex] but I keep getting stuck.

I hae tried integrating by parts but the integral just keeps getting more complicated, and I have tried substituting in sin(x) = (1/2i)(e^ix - e^-ix) but that gave me the result that the whole thing is equal to infinity, which I know to be wrong.

can anybody suggest some sort of method or substitution that I could use?
this is driving me up the wall now.
cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
jeebs said:
and I have tried substituting in sin(x) = (1/2i)(e^ix - e^-ix) but that gave me the result that the whole thing is equal to infinity, which I know to be wrong.

And yet it should have worked... Did you find an antiderivative for [tex]e^{-\frac r R}\sin\left(\frac{qr}{h}\right)[/tex] ?

Your first approach would have worked if you chose the right things for u and dv, and if you had done integration by parts a second time.

For the first integration by parts, choose u = e-Ar and dv = cos(Br)dr. For the sake of simplicity, A = 1/R and B = q/h.

That should give you an integral with e-Ar and sin(Br). Perform integration by parts a second time, with u = e-Ar and dv = sin(Br)dr. This second integration by parts will give you an integral with e-Ar and cos(Br), which is the same as what you started with. At this point you will have your original integral on the left side, and some expression plus a multiple of your original integral on the right side.

Bring both integral terms to one side and solve algebraically for your integral.

Hi jeebs! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and an infinity: ∞ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: what is e-r/Rsin(qr/h) the imaginary part of? :wink:

Let [itex]u=e^{r/R}[/itex] and [itex]dv= sin(qr/h)dr[/itex]. Then [itex]du= e^{r/R}/R dr[/itex] and [itex]v= -(h/q) cos(qr/h)[/itex].

[itex]\int e^{r/R}sin(qr/h)dr= -(h/q)e^{r/R}cos(qr/h)+ (h/(qR))\int e^{r/R}cos(qr/h)dr[/itex]. Now do it again, again letting [itex]u= e^{r/R}[/itex] and [itex]dv= sin(qr/h)r[/itex]. You will get a term involving [itex]\int e^{r/R}sin(qr/h)dr[/itex] again. Do not integrate by parts a third time. Instead, solve the equation, algebraically, for [itex]\int e^{r/R}sin(qr/h)dr[/itex].

Related to I need a hand with this integral? probably not even that difficult?

1. Can you explain the concept of an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve in a graph. It is also referred to as the antiderivative as it is the inverse operation of differentiation.

2. How do I solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It also helps to have a good understanding of basic algebra and calculus.

3. Why do I need to use integrals?

Integrals are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to calculate important quantities such as displacement, velocity, and area under a curve. They also have applications in real-life problem-solving.

4. Is there a specific method to solve integrals?

There are several methods to solve integrals, and the choice of method depends on the type of integral. Some common methods include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It is essential to understand the properties of integrals to choose the appropriate method.

5. How do I know if my integral solution is correct?

You can check the correctness of your integral solution by differentiating it and comparing it to the original function. If the derivative is the same as the original function, then your solution is correct. You can also use online integrators or software to verify your solution.