Can't find potential of vector field

In summary: If a potential ##\phi## exists, then$$\phi = \int^{\vec x} \vec A\cdot d\vec x.$$This is coordinate independent. In polar coordinates however$$d\vec x = \vec e_r dr + \vec e_v r \, dv$$and so$$\phi = \int^{\vec x} (A_r dr + rA_v dv).$$Integrate along any curve to find the result.
Addez123
Homework Statement
There's two exercises where I'm suppose to find if there's a potential and if so determine it.
$$1. A = 3r^2sin v e_r + r^3cosv e_v$$
$$2. A = 3r^2 sin v e_r + r^2 cos v e_v$$
Relevant Equations
None
1. To find the solution simply integrate the e_r section by dr.
$$\nabla g = A$$
$$g = \int 3r^2sin v dr = r^3sinv + f(v)$$
Then integrate the e_v section similarly:
$$g = \int r^3cosv dv = r^3sinv + f(r)$$

From these we can see that ##g = r^3sinv + C##
But the answer is apparently that there is no solution since ∇ × A does not equal zero.
Wtf? Take the derivative of ##r^3sinv## with respect to r and v and you'll literally get A!
So how does it "not exist"?

Same problem with number 2.
$$g = \int 3r^2 sin v dr = r^3 sin v + f(v)$$
$$g = \int r^2 cos v dv = r^2 sin v + f(r)$$
From this you can CLEARLY see there is NO solution available.
Yet this exercise has the audacity to claim that
$$g = r^3 cos v$$
would be a solution!
Have they even tried taking the derivative of that with respect to literally ANYTHING?!
##d/dr (r^3 cos v) = 3r^2 COS v##, which is not ##A_r##.

Are they trying to make me go mad??

Physics news on Phys.org
Orodruin said:
That's not how the gradient works in curvilinear coordinates.
My textbook does not cover potentials except in cartesian coordinates.

What's wrong with my approach?
I need to add a jacobian somewhere or something?

In plane polars, [tex]
\nabla g = \frac{\partial g}{\partial r} e_r + \frac 1r \frac{\partial g}{\partial v} e_v.[/tex]

Likes WWGD, PhDeezNutz, topsquark and 1 other person
Addez123 said:

What's wrong with my approach?
I need to add a jacobian somewhere or something?
You would need to convert r, ##e_r##, v, and ##e_v## to Cartesian coordinates. It's technically possible but it's going to be a real mess.

The concepts are identical if you use polar coordinates and it will give you some good experience to work it that way. Coordinate transformations are a good technique to learn when solving these types of problems, and many others.

-Dan

Ahh ok I get it!
So when solving for ##e_v## in 1.
I should have done
$$g = \int r^3cosv * 1/r dv = r^2sinv + f(r)$$
which then has no solution.
Is that correct?

Addez123 said:
But does it cover the derivative operators in curvilinear coordinates? That should be enough since the potential concept in itself is not coordinate dependent.

Edit: … and if it doesn’t, then consider another textbook that does (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) 😁

Likes vanhees71 and topsquark
Addez123 said:
Ahh ok I get it!
So when solving for ##e_v## in 1.
I should have done
$$g = \int r^3cosv * 1/r dv = r^2sinv + f(r)$$
which then has no solution.
Is that correct?

No, you have [tex]
\begin{split}
\frac{\partial g}{\partial r} &= A_r \\
\frac 1r \frac{\partial g}{\partial v} &= A_v \end{split}[/tex] so if [itex]g[/itex] exists then [tex]
\int A_r\,dr + B(v) = \int rA_v\,dv + C(r).[/tex]

Likes topsquark
pasmith said:
No, you have [tex]
\begin{split}
\frac{\partial g}{\partial r} &= A_r \\
\frac 1r \frac{\partial g}{\partial v} &= A_v \end{split}[/tex] so if [itex]g[/itex] exists then [tex]
\int A_r\,dr + B(v) = \int rA_v\,dv + C(r).[/tex]
I would write it slightly differently. If a potential ##\phi## exists, then
$$
\phi = \int^{\vec x} \vec A\cdot d\vec x.
$$
This is coordinate independent. In polar coordinates however
$$
d\vec x = \vec e_r dr + \vec e_v r \, dv
$$
and so
$$
\phi = \int^{\vec x} (A_r dr + rA_v dv).
$$
Integrate along any curve to find the result.

The result is of course the same.

Likes topsquark
Don't we need the condition ## U_x=V_y## , in Cartesian , as a necessary condition?

Likes topsquark
First calculate the curl (I'd extend it to 3D to use the standard formulae for cylinder coordinates ;-)). If the curl doesn't vanish there's no scalar potential. Otherwise, I'd use the hint in #8.

Likes topsquark

1. What is the potential of a vector field?

The potential of a vector field is a scalar function that describes the energy associated with the movement of a particle in that field. It is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to analyze and understand the behavior of vector fields.

2. How is the potential of a vector field calculated?

The potential of a vector field can be calculated by taking the negative gradient of the vector field. This involves finding the partial derivatives of each component of the vector field with respect to the coordinates and then combining them using the gradient operator. The resulting function is the potential of the vector field.

3. Why can't I find the potential of a vector field?

There are a few reasons why you may not be able to find the potential of a vector field. One possibility is that the vector field is not conservative, meaning that the work done by the field on a particle depends on the path taken and not just the endpoints. In this case, the potential does not exist. Another reason could be that the vector field is defined on a non-simply connected domain, which can also make it non-conservative and therefore not have a potential.

4. Can a vector field have multiple potentials?

No, a vector field can only have one potential. This is because the potential is a unique function that describes the energy of the field at any given point. If a vector field had multiple potentials, it would mean that the energy at a single point can have different values, which is not possible.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the potential of a vector field?

The concept of potential in vector fields has many practical applications. Some examples include analyzing the flow of fluids in engineering, understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and studying the motion of celestial bodies in astronomy. It is also used in various areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and thermodynamics, to solve complex problems and make predictions about the behavior of particles and systems.