I need a recommendation on a book for Lagrangian Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of Lagrangian Mechanics and the search for helpful resources, specifically a book, with solved problems involving mechanical and geometric constraints. The individual is open to guidance and resources that may assist in solving problems using Lagrangian Mechanics.
gezibash
I have just started studying Lagrangian Mechanics, and I can find decent material on the internet that describes the theory behind it, several proofs on equivalence and even some good solved examples.

However, I would really appreciate if someone could recommend a book that has some of the following features:

1. Solved problems with mechanical constraints
  2. Solved problems with geometric constraints

Now I'd like to be more clear on this issue. I refer to mechanical constraints as say a pin connecting two rods or even two welded rods, basically things of this nature.

Geometric constrains are say a 3D function that would define some kind of a field in which the particle would move.

I realize that what I'm asking might even be outside of the nature of Lagrangian Mechanics, and I'd be glad if someone could help, at least guide me to the set of problems that I could solve using Lagrangian.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have a look at this thread. Also see the free book by Lawden https://archive.org/details/AnalyticalMechanics_862, unfortunately the writing is a little blurred.

Also look here.

Related to I need a recommendation on a book for Lagrangian Mechanics

1. What is Lagrangian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of particles and systems in physics. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the path a particle takes between two points in space and time is the one that minimizes the action.

2. Why is Lagrangian Mechanics important?

Lagrangian Mechanics is important because it allows for a more elegant and efficient approach to solving problems in classical mechanics. It also provides a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and symmetries that govern physical systems.

3. What are some common applications of Lagrangian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics has a wide range of applications in various fields, including celestial mechanics, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism. It is also used in the study of rigid body motion, vibrations, and control systems.

4. Can you recommend a book for learning Lagrangian Mechanics?

There are many great books on Lagrangian Mechanics, but a highly recommended one is "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein, Charles Poole, and John Safko. It provides a comprehensive and rigorous treatment of the subject, suitable for both beginners and advanced readers.

5. Is prior knowledge of calculus required to understand Lagrangian Mechanics?

Yes, a solid understanding of calculus is necessary to fully grasp the concepts and equations of Lagrangian Mechanics. This includes knowledge of differential and integral calculus, as well as some familiarity with partial derivatives and vector calculus.