I need help choosing my undergrad physics school please

In summary, the conversation discusses the choice of college for a physics major and the person's interest in pursuing graduate school after graduation. They mention three schools - Rutgers, Stony Brook, and Rensselaer - and inquire about their differences at the undergraduate level. The speaker, who was a former grad student at Rensselaer, suggests Rensselaer as a good option for teaching undergraduates in physics. They also mention the availability of courses such as math 2400 and physics 2210 in the first semester.
bluehibiscus
with scholarships making the costs relatively the same, which college would you choose for physics major - rutgers, stonybrook or rensselaer? bs in physics, not engineering. don't want to choose research interest area just yet but likely interested in grad school more than industry right after graduating. scored 5 in ap physics 1 and expecting 5's in ap physics c and ap calc bc. not finding enough info in regular college threads on physics depts. is there much difference at the undergraduate level? will any of these be just as fine as the others?

Physics news on Phys.org
I was a grad student at RPI in the 80's and things may have changed since then. However, the undergrads at RPI (Rensselaer) were getting into Cal-Tech, chosen over MIT by one grad student, Texas, Colorado, and one grad student transferred to MIT, and others were accepted at most every good grad school in the country in physics. Rutgers and Stony Brook are ranked in US news higher, and may be able to say the same thing concerning their grads. Again, things are certainly not the same as 45 years ago.

All schools on your list are good for teaching undergraduates, physics.

• Wow
Likes gwnorth

1. How do I choose the right undergraduate physics school for me?

Choosing the right undergraduate physics school can be a daunting task, but there are a few key factors to consider. First, look at the curriculum and course offerings to make sure they align with your interests and career goals. Also, consider the research opportunities available and the faculty's areas of expertise. It's also important to look at the school's location, campus culture, and resources for students pursuing physics. Lastly, consider the financial aspect and make sure the school is affordable for you.

2. What are the top undergraduate physics schools in the country?

There are many top undergraduate physics schools in the country, and the rankings can vary depending on the source. Some top schools include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Harvard University, Stanford University, and Princeton University. However, it's important to remember that the best school for you may not necessarily be the highest ranked one.

3. Should I choose a school with a strong research program or a strong teaching program?

It's important to consider both the research and teaching aspects when choosing an undergraduate physics school. A strong research program can provide valuable hands-on experience and opportunities for publication and networking. On the other hand, a strong teaching program can provide a solid foundation in physics principles and theories. It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and career goals.

4. How important is the school's location for a physics major?

The location of the school can play a role in your undergraduate physics experience. If you're interested in research, a school located near research institutions or national labs may offer more opportunities. Additionally, the location can also impact the cost of living and potential internship or job opportunities in the area. However, the most important factor should be the quality of the school's physics program.

5. What resources are available for students pursuing physics at a particular school?

When considering a school for your undergraduate physics studies, it's important to look at the resources available for students. This can include access to research facilities, career services, tutoring and study resources, and extracurricular activities related to physics. You can also reach out to current students or alumni to get a firsthand perspective on the resources available and how they have benefited from them.