What Make of Car Does This Hubcap Belong To?

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Nuts
In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of a hubcap and its potential connection to communist symbols. Janus is able to quickly identify it as an Oldsmobile hubcap from the 1950s. The conversation also touches on the website where the hubcap can be found and a humorous comment about its potential use as a drinking glass.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Can anyone ID this hubcap. What make of car is this?

http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/Hubcaps/HPIM0495a.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
wow, that's hard. Looks like something soviet.

I am certain that it is American, 100% American.

Oldsmobile, 1950-53

Well, he's right!

http://www.cg-netcom.de/appdata/gallery/www.chromehouse.de/cms/oldsmobile_ninety_eight_reifen/scaled.jpg

Looks very communist to me though...

Great job janus!

Last edited by a moderator:
That didn't take long! Thanks Janus! Did you just recogize them or do you have super search skilz?

Integral said:
That didn't take long! Thanks Janus! Did you just recogize them or do you have super search skilz?

As much as I'd like to claim a remarkable memory for hubcaps. (A skill of dubious practical value), I found it here:

http://www.hubcaps.org/olds1.html

I was on that site the other night, looking for this.

Who would EVER look at the very first one on the page :rolleyes:

Edit:
Oh yeah, Cyrus, I can see what you mean with communist connection. The Star!

Good job, Janus. I would have guessed that it was something handed out by Pacific 66 in lieu of drinking glasses when you filled 'er up with ethyl...

1. What exactly are "oldtimer car nuts"?

"Oldtimer car nuts" refer to individuals who have a strong passion or interest in vintage or classic cars.

2. Why do people become "oldtimer car nuts"?

People become "oldtimer car nuts" for a variety of reasons, including nostalgia, appreciation for the history and craftsmanship of older cars, and the thrill of owning and driving a unique vehicle.

3. How can I become more knowledgeable about oldtimer cars?

To become more knowledgeable about oldtimer cars, you can attend car shows and events, join clubs or online communities dedicated to vintage cars, and do research on specific models and their history.

4. Are oldtimer cars still functional and safe to drive?

Yes, oldtimer cars can still be functional and safe to drive if they have been properly maintained and restored. However, it is important to keep in mind that they may not have the same safety features as modern cars and may require special care and attention.

5. How can I find and purchase an oldtimer car?

There are several ways to find and purchase an oldtimer car, including attending car auctions, searching online marketplaces, and contacting vintage car dealers. It is important to do thorough research and have a mechanic inspect the car before making a purchase.