I need to build an electromagnet to provide 10mN eddy current brake

In summary: My 2 cents(overpriced at that)I have tested synchronous motors by driving them with a very poor commutation angle. Thus they were heated up while running, though they had no mechanical load, so that edurance due to heat and rotational wear were tested at the same time, but I'm not sure if the same can be done with a BLDC motor, which has trapezoidal commutation?In summary, the customer wants to use an electromagnet instead of a permanent magnet to provide more than 10mNm load to a DC motor with rotating disc of 75mm in a RPM of 6500. The system must be able to support 50 motors and be able to connect all different types and
Anoop Varghese
Hi I am building a motor tester, for that I need to build a variable load. For which I was planning to use eddy current brake with electromagnet.

Please help me to build a electro magnet which can provide more than 10mNm load to a DC motor with rotating disc of 75mm in a RPM of 6500.

I tried with trial and error methods, as I am not good at solving mathematical expressions.
case 1. When I tried with a large rod core with 2100turns and 500mA current I was able to load only upto 3mNm. Case 2. when I change the system to two electromagent place at the both side of the disc (1400 turns each and 300mA cureent through both coil) I was able to load upto 9mNm. However as it need to be placed both side I have a space contrain.So please help me to build a electromagnet which can produce same loading as the case two in a smaller package.

Thanks & regards,
Anoop

Engineering news on Phys.org
What mathematical expressions are you trying to use?

It is not clear what you are trying to do.

case 1. When I tried with a large rod core with 2100turns and 500mA current
Can you post a photo of your experiment?

The magnetic flux should go in a circle with air gaps being as small as possible. A U shaped magnet could work.

Likes Anoop Varghese
Dr Z is right.

My 2 cents(overpriced at that)
Experiment with a C-clamp (iron one of course)
gives you a magnetic loop with adjustable air gap.
Tighten clamp and tack weld that wobbly tip to the screw so it won't flop around.
upload_2015-7-17_12-33-52.png

Last edited:
Likes Anoop Varghese
Anoop Varghese said:
I was planning to use eddy current brake with electromagnet.
As for a motor-tester I don't think it's a good idea: The rotating disc will be heated up by 680W Eddy current losses and will become hot - very hot.
The specific resistance of the disc will change due to change in temperature, so the load will not be constant.

Also the torque will depend on rotational speed.

Another idea for motor testing is to connect two (identical) motors mechanically, the one is used as motor, the other is used as generator. Then you let the generator provide power to the motor ( perpetual motion machine ). Of course that will not work, but if you insert some power supply in the electrical connection between generator and motor in series, adding some small voltage to the generator voltage, it will work. The power supply will just have to provide power, corresponding to losses in the motor/generator.

EDIT: Sorry, only 6.8W is lost in the rotating disc.

Last edited:
Hesch said:
As for a motor-tester I don't think it's a good idea: The rotating disc will be heated up by 680W Eddy current losses and will become hot - very hot.

108.3 rotations/second * 2 * π * 1m * 0.01N = 6.8W

Anoop Varghese said:
Hi I am building a motor tester, for that I need to build a variable load. For which I was planning to use eddy current brake with electromagnet.
So why not use a DC PM motor as a generator with a resistive load? That will give you eddy current braking.
If you load a DC generator, (motor), with a constant current network you will get close to constant torque over a wide range of RPM.

Baluncore said:
So why not use a DC PM motor as a generator with a resistive load? That will give you eddy current braking.
If you load a DC generator, (motor), with a constant current network you will get close to constant torque over a wide range of RPM.
The tester need to support 50 motors need to be tested together- it is used for the endurance testing
Baluncore said:
And the user must be able to connect all their different type and sizes of motors in the system. So we thought of using the eddy current braking in the system with the disc and magnet. We have made the system with permanent magnet, however now customer need configurable load, so we are planning replace the permanent magnet with electromagnet.

Anoop Varghese said:
The tester need to support 50 motors need to be tested together- it is used for the endurance testing
Which type of DC-motors: Mechanical/electronic commutation?

I have tested synchronous motors by driving them with a very poor commutation angle. Thus they were heated up while running, though they had no mechanical load, so that edurance due to heat and rotational wear were tested at the same time, but I'm not sure if the same can be done with a BLDC motor, which has trapezoidal commutation?

Last edited:
Hesch said:
Which type of DC-motors: Mechanical/electronic commutation?

I have tested synchronous motors by driving them with a very poor commutation angle. Thus they were heated up while running, though they had no mechanical load, so that edurance due to heat and rotational wear were tested at the same time, but I'm not sure if the same can be done with a BLDC motor, which has trapezoidal commutation?
Hi Hesch,

Thanks for your suggestions, however we are testing normal DC motors. Not BLDC motors, the shaft and Disc is isolated with nylon bush so that the heat is not transferred to the motor from the disc.

For larger motors which is up to 1Nm torque we are using permanent magnet for loading. For smaller motor customer wants electromagent loading for simulating the load profile performance over the operational area.

Regards,
Anoop

What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by running an electric current through a wire. The current generates a magnetic field, which can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity.

How does an electromagnet provide eddy current brake?

An electromagnet provides eddy current brake by generating a magnetic field that interacts with the metal discs in the brake system. This interaction creates eddy currents, which produce a force that opposes the motion of the discs, ultimately slowing them down.

What materials do I need to build an electromagnet for a 10mN eddy current brake?

To build an electromagnet for a 10mN eddy current brake, you will need a power source, a wire, and a metal core. The wire should be insulated and the metal core should be made of a ferromagnetic material, such as iron or steel.

How do I determine the appropriate size and number of wire turns for my electromagnet?

The size and number of wire turns for an electromagnet depend on the strength of the magnetic field you want to create. You can use the formula B = μ0NI/l, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of wire turns, I is the current, and l is the length of the wire. By manipulating these variables, you can determine the appropriate size and number of wire turns for your electromagnet.

What factors can affect the performance of my electromagnet for an eddy current brake?

The performance of an electromagnet for an eddy current brake can be affected by several factors, such as the strength of the power source, the type and size of the wire, the material and shape of the metal core, and the distance between the electromagnet and the metal disc. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the performance of the electromagnet. It is important to carefully consider these factors when building an electromagnet for an eddy current brake.