I need to find a good instructional book on amateur archaeology?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of proper preservation and following the law in regards to archaeological digs. The speaker mentions a book, "Amateur Archaeologist's Handbook," but questions its relevance due to its publication date. They also suggest working with a local university to gain historical context and understanding when participating in digs.
TheAzn
*Now, before I begin, I would like to make very clear that I am NOT an unethical person and will give all of my finds to the legitimate museum.*

I need a book that provides instructions as to how to properly preserve specimens and buildings, how to properly find a site and how to properly follow the law.

I have heard that the "Amateur Archaeologist's Handbook" is a good book on this matter. However, I think that the book might be a bit outdated since it was published in 1981.

Do you guys know of any good, newer books?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I would respectfully ask that you refrain from striking off on your own, and volunteer to work on digs run by your local university. Properly-run digs are conducted in the context of the area and the society(s) that could have contributed to the site. Without such context and historical understanding, you could unwittingly destroy the most important evidence in a dig. It's not all about digging up wonderful artifacts.

Last edited:

1. What are the key features to look for in an instructional book on amateur archaeology?

When looking for a good instructional book on amateur archaeology, it is important to consider the author's credentials and experience in the field, the book's level of detail and clarity of instructions, and whether it includes practical exercises or case studies for hands-on learning.

2. Are there any specific books that are highly recommended for beginners in amateur archaeology?

Yes, there are several highly recommended books for beginners in amateur archaeology, such as "Archaeology: The Basics" by Clive Gamble, "The Archaeology Handbook: A Field Manual and Resource Guide" by Bill McMillon, and "Archaeology for Dummies" by Nancy Marie White.

3. Can instructional books on amateur archaeology also cover advanced techniques?

Yes, many instructional books on amateur archaeology cover both basic and advanced techniques. However, it is important to carefully read the book's description and reviews to ensure that it meets your specific learning needs.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement an instructional book on amateur archaeology?

Yes, there are several online resources that can supplement an instructional book on amateur archaeology, such as websites of archaeological organizations and institutions, online courses, and virtual field trips.

5. How do I know if a particular instructional book on amateur archaeology is reliable and accurate?

To determine the reliability and accuracy of a book on amateur archaeology, it is important to check the author's credentials and reputation in the field, read reviews from other readers, and cross-reference information with other reputable sources.