How Can I Quickly Learn Physics for the MCAT With No Background?

• Thread starter AmandaR0se
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is preparing to take the MCAT but has no knowledge of physics due to a lack of exposure in high school and a poor experience in college. They have been attempting to self-teach but have not found success. They are seeking advice on self-taught physics books and welcome any help.
AmandaR0se
This is going to sound crazy, but I am going to be taking the MCAT this year and I don't know a lick of physics. I grew up in a poor town with a crappy high school that didn't even offer physics and when I took physics 101 in college, the only professor who taught algebra-based physics was retiring at the end of the year and gave us open book tests that were just recreations of all of the problems he put on the board during class with just the numbers changed. In other words, I did not learn a single thing and refused to take physics 102.

I've been trying to teach myself but have I feel that I have been using the wrong materials to do so. I am someone who has no problem memorizing equations and formulas, but I never know how to apply them and use them. I have friends who have offered to tutor me, but being medical students, they tend to have fairly busy schedules.

I will be taking physics 102 this summer to complete my pre-med requirements, however, I need to learn physics 101 before starting the class. Does anyone have suggestions for self-taught physics books? Or just any advice at all? Please, any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
AmandaR0se said:
This is going to sound crazy, but I am going to be taking the MCAT this year and I don't know a lick of physics. I grew up in a poor town with a crappy high school that didn't even offer physics and when I took physics 101 in college, the only professor who taught algebra-based physics was retiring at the end of the year and gave us open book tests that were just recreations of all of the problems he put on the board during class with just the numbers changed. In other words, I did not learn a single thing and refused to take physics 102.

I've been trying to teach myself but have I feel that I have been using the wrong materials to do so. I am someone who has no problem memorizing equations and formulas, but I never know how to apply them and use them. I have friends who have offered to tutor me, but being medical students, they tend to have fairly busy schedules.

I will be taking physics 102 this summer to complete my pre-med requirements, however, I need to learn physics 101 before starting the class. Does anyone have suggestions for self-taught physics books? Or just any advice at all? Please, any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the PF.

We have a whole section of the forum dedicated to "Learning Materials", and there is an Intro Physics sub-forum there that should be of help for you:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160

The MIT lecture series is supposed to be pretty good, for example. Good luck on the MCATs! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Can I Quickly Learn Physics for the MCAT With No Background?

1. Why is learning physics important for the MCAT?

Learning physics is important for the MCAT because it is one of the four foundational sciences tested on the exam, along with biology, chemistry, and biochemistry. A strong understanding of physics principles and concepts will be crucial in answering questions in the physical sciences section of the MCAT.

2. What specific topics in physics should I focus on for the MCAT?

There are several key topics in physics that are heavily tested on the MCAT, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and thermodynamics. It is important to have a thorough understanding of these topics and be able to apply them to complex problems on the exam.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to learn physics for the MCAT?

While a strong math background can certainly be helpful when learning physics, it is not necessary to excel on the MCAT. The exam focuses more on conceptual understanding and problem-solving skills rather than complex mathematical calculations. However, a basic understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus will be beneficial.

4. How can I effectively study physics for the MCAT?

To effectively study physics for the MCAT, it is important to start early and allocate enough time to cover all the necessary topics. Practice problems and practice exams are also essential for solidifying your understanding and identifying any weak areas. It can also be helpful to use study aids such as review books, flashcards, and online resources.

5. Are there any specific tips for mastering physics on the MCAT?

One tip for mastering physics on the MCAT is to focus on understanding the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing equations. It can also be helpful to make connections between different topics in physics and how they relate to other sciences. Additionally, practicing with real MCAT-style questions and analyzing your mistakes can greatly improve your performance on the exam.