I need your opinions on Zettili's solution of an exercise

In summary, there is a discrepancy between the relation between operator A and state φn in problem 3.4 and 3.5 of the Zettili Quantum Mechanics textbook. While problem 3.4 defines φn as the eigenstates of A, problem 3.5 uses a different relation without mentioning any changes. It is possible that the author forgot to mention the change in the relation and wanted to define φn as not the eigenstates of A in problem 3.5.
KostasV
image.jpeg
1. Homework Statement

(Uploaded photo from Zettili Quantum Mechanics - Chapter 3 - Solved problems 3.4 and 3.5)
Check at problem 3.4 the relation that he gives between operator A and state φn.
Now check the relation that he uses in problem 3.5 between A and φn again.
They are different while on the announcement of prob 3.5 he does not mention any change of this relation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is there any misprint or am i that dumb that cannot understand some change of the relation that he implies?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's not a misprint for the answer of prob 3.5 follows as a consequence of the written relation between ##\hat{A}## and ##|\phi_n\rangle## in that problem. My guess is that he forgot that in the previous problem 3.4 he defined ##|\phi_n\rangle##'s as the eigenstates of ##\hat{A}##.

blue_leaf77 said:
I think that's not a misprint for the answer of prob 3.5 follows as a consequence of the written relation between ##\hat{A}## and ##|\phi_n\rangle## in that problem. My guess is that he forgot that in the previous problem 3.4 he defined ##|\phi_n\rangle##'s as the eigenstates of ##\hat{A}##.

So, in problem 3.5 he probably wanted to change the relation between ##\hat{A}## and ##|\phi_n\rangle## to ##\hat{A}## ##|\phi_n\rangle## = n ##\alpha_o\ ## ##|\phi_{n+1}\rangle## (in order not to be anymore eigenstates of ##\hat{A}## ) but forgot to mention it?

KostasV said:
So, in problem 3.5 he probably wanted to change the relation between ##\hat{A}## and ##|\phi_n\rangle## to ##\hat{A}## ##|\phi_n\rangle## = n ##\alpha_o\ ## ##|\phi_{n+1}\rangle## (in order not to be anymore eigenstates of ##\hat{A}## ) but forgot to mention it?
Yeah, probably.

blue_leaf77 said:
Yeah, probably.
Thanks for your response to my issue !

1. What is Zettili's solution of the exercise?

Zettili's solution of the exercise refers to the approach and steps proposed by Mohammad Zettili in his book "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" to solve a particular exercise or problem related to quantum mechanics.

2. Is Zettili's solution reliable?

Zettili's solution is based on the principles and theories of quantum mechanics and has been reviewed and recommended by experts in the field. However, it is always advisable to consult multiple sources and approaches to gain a deeper understanding of the concepts.

3. How can I access Zettili's solution of the exercise?

Zettili's solution of the exercise can be found in his book "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" or online through various resources such as academic databases or forums where students and experts discuss and share solutions to exercises.

4. Can I use Zettili's solution for my own exercise?

It is not recommended to use Zettili's solution as your own exercise without proper understanding and credit given to the author. It is important to solve exercises and problems on your own to fully grasp the concepts and techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to Zettili's solution?

Zettili's solution may not always be the most efficient or appropriate approach for a particular exercise or problem. It is important to understand the underlying principles and theories to choose the best solution or adapt it to fit the specific scenario.