I really with spin quantum number.

In summary, the spin quantum number is a quantum number that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle, such as an electron. It is determined experimentally through various spectroscopic techniques or mathematically derived using the Pauli exclusion principle. This quantum number plays a crucial role in explaining the magnetic properties of particles and determining the electronic structure of atoms. It can change by a value of ±1/2 and is related to other quantum numbers, including the principal, azimuthal, and magnetic quantum numbers. Together, these quantum numbers define the unique properties and behavior of an electron in an atom.
Sunny09
Hello. I am in class eleventh. I met a class 12th guy telling me that he knew a theoretical proof for showing that the values of spin quantum number are +1/2 and -1/2.
If anyone else knows the proof, please tell me...I'm desperate to know..
Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The spin of a particle can be [tex]\pm \frac{n}{2}[/tex] where n is an integer. This is a long algebraic/physical proof. Does he really know what he is talking about?

Last edited:

Hello there! It's great to hear that you are interested in spin quantum number. I can tell you that spin quantum number is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, and its values of +1/2 and -1/2 have been experimentally verified. However, the theoretical proof for this may be complex and beyond the scope of what is typically taught in high school classes. I would suggest discussing this with your physics teacher or doing some further research on your own. Additionally, you can reach out to a university or research institution for more information on the theoretical proof. Keep exploring and learning, and good luck in your studies!

Related to I really with spin quantum number.

1. What is the spin quantum number?

The spin quantum number is a quantum number that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle, such as an electron. It is represented by the symbol s and can have a value of either +1/2 or -1/2.

2. How is the spin quantum number determined?

The spin quantum number is determined experimentally through various spectroscopic techniques. It can also be mathematically derived using the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two electrons in an atom can have the same set of quantum numbers.

3. What role does the spin quantum number play in quantum mechanics?

The spin quantum number is an important aspect of quantum mechanics as it helps explain the magnetic properties of particles. It also plays a crucial role in determining the electronic structure of atoms, which is essential in understanding chemical bonding and reactivity.

4. Can the spin quantum number change?

Yes, the spin quantum number can change through certain interactions, such as collisions with other particles or exposure to strong magnetic fields. However, it can only change by a value of ±1/2.

5. Are there any other quantum numbers that are related to the spin quantum number?

Yes, the spin quantum number is related to the other quantum numbers in the atomic model, including the principal quantum number, azimuthal quantum number, and magnetic quantum number. Together, these quantum numbers help define the unique properties and behavior of an electron in an atom.