I think I discovered a pattern for prime numbers

In summary, a prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself. There are several methods for determining if a number is prime, but there is no known formula or pattern for generating all prime numbers. Despite many attempts, no such pattern has been discovered, and finding one would have significant implications in mathematics and computer science. However, after centuries of research, no one has been able to find a pattern for prime numbers, making it one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics.
hotAdaptness
TL;DR Summary
I think I discovered a pattern for prime numbers
I wrote a program that implements the pattern and finds the primes automatically. It worked up to 70 million then it crashed because program holds data in RAM so it can be fixed. It found all the primes up to 70 million and found no exception. I won't explain the pattern because its so complicated and its not officially mine. I couldn't find any documents about this pattern and I think its a new thing. What should I do?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hotAdaptness said:
Summary: I think I discovered a pattern for prime numbers

I wrote a program that implements the pattern and finds the primes automatically. It worked up to 70 million then it crashed because program holds data in RAM so it can be fixed. It found all the primes up to 70 million and found no exception. I won't explain the pattern because its so complicated and its not officially mine. I couldn't find any documents about this pattern and I think its a new thing. What should I do?
The pattern you have found is
$$
\pi(x) \approx \operatorname{Li}(x)=\displaystyle{\int_2^x \dfrac{dt}{\log t}}
$$

Anything else can frankly be considered wrong. See
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-history-and-importance-of-the-riemann-hypothesis/
and if you are interested in details
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-extended-riemann-hypothesis-and-ramanujans-sum/.

Since it is highly unlikely that you have solved the Riemann conjecture, and even if, it certainly won't fit our format, this thread is closed.

Likes dextercioby

1. What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself. In other words, it has exactly two factors.

2. How do you determine if a number is prime?

To determine if a number is prime, you need to check if it is only divisible by 1 and itself. This can be done by trying to divide the number by all numbers from 2 to the square root of the number. If no other number besides 1 and itself can divide evenly, then the number is prime.

3. What is a pattern for prime numbers?

A pattern for prime numbers is a predictable sequence or relationship between prime numbers. This can help in identifying prime numbers or finding the next prime number in a series.

4. How can I use a pattern to find prime numbers?

If you have discovered a pattern for prime numbers, you can use it to identify prime numbers or find the next prime number in a series. This can save time and effort compared to manually checking every number for primality.

5. Is there a universal pattern for prime numbers?

There is currently no known universal pattern for prime numbers. While there have been many attempts to find a pattern, prime numbers are still considered to be randomly distributed and unpredictable.