I understand energy-momentum tensor with contravariant indices, where

In summary, the energy-momentum tensor with contravariant indices, T^{αβ}, can be derived from T_{αβ} by multiplying both sides of Einstein's equation by the metric tensor. This is not simply a change of indices, but rather a mathematical manipulation that allows for the use of covariant vectors in Einstein's equation. It may be unclear why this works, but it is a result of the properties of the metric tensor and its relationship to covariant and contravariant tensors.
LoadedAnvils
I understand energy-momentum tensor with contravariant indices, where

I think I get [itex]T^{αβ}[/itex], but how do I derive the same result for [itex]T_{αβ}[/itex]? Why are the contravariant vectors simply changed to covariant ones, and why does it work in Einstein's equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
LoadedAnvils said:
I think I get [itex]T^{αβ}[/itex], but how do I derive the same result for [itex]T_{αβ}[/itex]? Why are the contravariant vectors simply changed to covariant ones, and why does it work in Einstein's equation?

You just lower indices by multiplying both sides of Einstein's equation by the metric tensor, you don't just 'change them'. I'm not sure what you don't understand.

1. What is the energy-momentum tensor with contravariant indices?

The energy-momentum tensor with contravariant indices is a mathematical object used in physics to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in a system. It is a 4x4 matrix that contains information about the energy, momentum, and stress of a physical system.

2. How is the energy-momentum tensor with contravariant indices used in physics?

The energy-momentum tensor with contravariant indices is used in physics to describe the dynamics of a physical system. It is a key component in Einstein's theory of general relativity, and is used to calculate the gravitational field and the motion of objects in the presence of this field.

3. What do the contravariant indices in the energy-momentum tensor represent?

The contravariant indices in the energy-momentum tensor represent the direction of energy and momentum flow in a physical system. They are used to describe the energy and momentum in a particular direction, rather than the total energy and momentum of the system.

4. How is the energy-momentum tensor with contravariant indices related to conservation laws?

The energy-momentum tensor with contravariant indices is related to conservation laws through the conservation of energy and momentum. This tensor is used to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in a physical system, and any changes in its values can be related to the transfer or transformation of energy and momentum within the system.

5. Can the energy-momentum tensor with contravariant indices be used in other areas of science?

Yes, the energy-momentum tensor with contravariant indices has applications in other areas of science besides physics. It is also used in engineering, particularly in the study of fluid mechanics and continuum mechanics, to describe the stress and strain of materials.