Solving a Problem with Interchanging Field Tensors

In summary, the result is correct, but I'm unsure about equation from 29 to 30 where right-hand side became just the covariant dual field tensor. I assumed that I could interchange the covariant dual- and normal covariant field tensor, but don't think it's possible since matrices aren't commutative. I think I bruteforced to get the correct result.
milkism
Homework Statement
Expressing the field tensor in terms of the four dimensional Levi-Civita symbol and covariant dual field tensor.
Relevant Equations
See solution.
Exercise:
a3717a9d9e8aec33a3a9c3aa409ab2ee.png

Solution:
a9f924951e53dd98a26863c66bfe9457.png

The result is correct, but I'm unsure about equation from 29 to 30 where right-hand side became just the covariant dual field tensor. I assumed that I could interchange the covariant dual- and normal covariant field tensor, but don't think it's possible since matrices aren't commutative.
I think I bruteforced to get the correct result.:cool::headbang::angel::eynman:

P.S: definition (20) is just the definition of the four-dimensional Levi-Civita symbol.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can interchange F and its dual in the conteaction. You're adding (products of) components, which commute. You don't multiply whole matrices.

Btw, you should then also worry about those implicit metric tensor "matrices" in the contraction of F with itself.

Likes milkism
haushofer said:
You can interchange F and its dual in the conteaction. You're adding (products of) components, which commute. You don't multiply whole matrices.

Btw, you should then also worry about those implicit metric tensor "matrices" in the contraction of F with itself.
Wow, thx!

Likes haushofer
Just use Appendix A.4 in

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/srt.pdf

One must be very careful concerning the sign conventions, i.e., whether you have ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}## as the usual Levi-Civita symbol and then necessarily ##\epsilon_{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}=-\epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}## or vice versa, when using different books/papers.

Likes milkism
From
##
(29)\qquad \color{red}{\tilde{F}^{\mu \nu} \tilde{F}_{\mu \nu}} F^{\kappa \lambda}=\frac{1}{2} \epsilon^{\mu \nu \kappa \lambda} \color{blue}{F_{\kappa \lambda}} \tilde{F}_{\mu \nu} \color{blue}{F^{\kappa \lambda}}
##
which can be rewritten (using tensorial methods) as
##
(29)\qquad \color{red}{\tilde{F}^{\mu \nu} \tilde{F}_{\mu \nu}} F^{\kappa \lambda}=\frac{1}{2} \epsilon^{\mu \nu \kappa \lambda} \tilde{F}_{\mu \nu} \color{blue}{F_{\kappa \lambda}} \color{blue}{F^{\kappa \lambda}}
##inserting
##
(26)\qquad \color{red}{\tilde{F}^{\mu \nu} \tilde{F}_{\mu \nu}}=-2\left(B^2-\frac{E^2}{c^2}\right)
##

##
(25)\qquad \color{blue}{F_{\kappa \lambda} F^{\kappa \lambda}}=2\left(B^2-\frac{E^2}{c^2}\right)
##

you get

##
\color{red}{-2\left(B^2-\frac{E^2}{c^2}\right)} F^{\kappa \lambda}=\frac{1}{2} \epsilon^{\mu \nu \kappa \lambda} \tilde{F}_{\mu \nu} \ \color{blue}{2\left(B^2-\frac{E^2}{c^2}\right)}
##

##
\color{red}{-1} F^{\kappa \lambda}=\frac{1}{2} \epsilon^{\mu \nu \kappa \lambda} \tilde{F}_{\mu \nu}
##
which is equal to "minus Eq. (30)"

Likes milkism
From the first post we have equation (27):
1681846955489.png
Here, the Einstein summation notation is being used, so the ##\kappa## and ##\lambda## on the right side are dummy summation indices.

Then we read
1681846982352.png
If the Einstein convention is still being assumed, then all the indices appearing in (28) are dummy summation indices.

The next step in post #1 is
1681847117472.png

Here, we have confusion. The ##\kappa## and ##\lambda## indices appear alone on the left side. So, these indices are not being summed on the left side. Going from left to right on the right side of (29), we know that the first two ##\kappa##'s are summation indices. But, the ##\kappa## in the last factor, ##F^{\kappa \lambda}##, is not suummed since this ##\kappa## corresponds to the ##\kappa## on the left side of the equation. The same remarks can be made for the ##\lambda##'s in (29).

Note that (29) can be written with less confusion as

$$\tilde{F}^{\mu \nu} \tilde{F}_{\mu \nu} F^{\kappa \lambda}= \frac 1 2 \epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta}F_{\alpha \beta} \tilde{F}_{\mu \nu} F^{\kappa \lambda} $$

Here, it is clear that ##\mu##, ##\nu##, ##\alpha##, and ##\beta## are summation indices while the ##\kappa## and ##\lambda## are fixed indices that are not summed. However, it doesn't appear to me that this equation is very helpful in getting to the result of expressing ##F^{\mu \nu}## in terms of ##\tilde{F}_{\mu \nu}## and the Levi-Civita tensor.

A better approach is to follow @vanhees71. Start with $$\tilde{F}^{\alpha \beta} = \frac 1 2 \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \kappa \lambda}F_{\kappa \lambda} $$ Raise and lower indices to write this as $$\tilde{F}_{\alpha \beta} = \frac 1 2 \epsilon_{\alpha \beta \kappa \lambda}F^{\kappa \lambda} $$ Multiply both sides by ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta}## and sum over ##\alpha## and ##\beta##. $$\epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta} \tilde{F}_{\alpha \beta} = \frac 1 2 \epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta} \epsilon_{\alpha \beta \kappa \lambda}F^{\kappa \lambda} $$ Proceed by using identities (A.4.5) and (A.3.1) in the appendices of https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/srt.pdf. It is helpful to note that ##\epsilon_{\alpha \beta \kappa \lambda} = \epsilon_{ \kappa \lambda \alpha \beta}##.

Likes milkism

1. What is the concept of interchanging field tensors?

Interchanging field tensors refer to the process of exchanging or swapping the components of a tensor in a specific manner. This is often done to simplify calculations or to convert a problem into a more manageable form.

2. How is interchanging field tensors used in problem-solving?

Interchanging field tensors are commonly used in physics and engineering to simplify and solve problems related to electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and other fields. By manipulating the components of a tensor, complex equations can be reduced to simpler forms, making them easier to solve.

3. Can interchanging field tensors be applied to any type of tensor?

Yes, interchanging field tensors can be applied to any type of tensor, including scalar, vector, and tensor fields. However, the process may vary depending on the type of tensor and the specific problem being solved.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using interchanging field tensors?

While interchanging field tensors can be a useful tool for problem-solving, it is important to note that it may not always be applicable or effective. In some cases, the process may introduce errors or inaccuracies, and it may not be suitable for all types of problems.

5. How can I learn more about interchanging field tensors and its applications?

There are many resources available for learning about interchanging field tensors, including textbooks, online tutorials, and scientific journals. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of linear algebra and tensor calculus, as these fields are closely related to the concept of interchanging field tensors.