I understanding this nuclear fission process

In summary, the conversation is about an assignment on nuclear physics that includes questions about decays and fission products in a nuclear power plant. The speaker is confused about an image on a website provided by their teacher and is seeking clarification on the process shown on the left-hand side. They question how it is possible for U-235 to decay immediately after being hit by a neutron and what happens to the original neutron. They suggest that the image may have been intended to show spontaneous fission, but was inaccurately depicted.
Saracen Rue
Hi, I'm currently doing an assignment on nuclear physics. One of the questions in said assignment is asking me to state the decays which usually happen within a nuclear power plant, as well as stating the fission products, explaining what's happening, and showing the equation. One of the sites my teacher linked me to for help with the assignment was this one: http://www.world-nuclear.org/Nuclear-Basics/How-does-a-nuclear-reactor-make-electricity-/. On the page there is an image which has confused me somewhat.

6-fission.jpg

I understand the process happening on the right-hand side fine. A neutron being fired into the nucleus of U-235, creating U-236. Due to U-236 being unstable, it decays into Ba-141, Kr-92, 3 neutrons and releases energy. However, the process on the left-hand side has me stumped. From what I understand, the U-235 is getting a neutron fired into it, but instead of turning into U-236, it decays straight away. At first I thought they may have just skipped a step and we're meant to assume that it turning into U-236, but this is not the case as the masses of the fission products only add up to 235.

So, I guess my questions are a) How is it possible for U-235 to get a neutron fired at it and decay straight away, without ever becoming U-236 and b) What has happened to the neutron that was original fired into the nucleus?

Any help regarding this matter is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission is a process in which the nucleus of an atom splits into two or more smaller nuclei, releasing a large amount of energy.

2. How does nuclear fission occur?

Nuclear fission occurs when a heavy nucleus, such as uranium or plutonium, absorbs a neutron, becoming unstable and splitting into two or more smaller nuclei.

3. What is the difference between nuclear fission and nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fission involves the splitting of a heavy nucleus, while nuclear fusion involves the combining of two or more smaller nuclei to form a heavier nucleus.

4. What are the potential benefits and risks of nuclear fission?

The main benefit of nuclear fission is the production of a large amount of energy, which can be used to generate electricity. However, the process also produces radioactive waste, which can be harmful to the environment and human health if not properly managed.

5. How is nuclear fission used in nuclear power plants?

Nuclear fission is used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity. The process involves heating water to produce steam, which then turns turbines to generate electricity. The heat is produced by controlled nuclear fission reactions in the reactor core.