Basic definition: Nuclear Fusion & Fission

In summary, nuclear transmutations occur through two main processes: fission and fusion. Fission is when a heavier nucleus breaks up into two or more lighter nuclei and neutrons, often used in nuclear power plants. Fusion is when two nuclei combine under high temperatures and pressures, producing energy that powers stars. While fission involves the breaking of a nucleus, fusion involves the joining of nuclei. Both processes involve overcoming the electrostatic repulsion barrier and utilizing the strong nuclear force. Further discussion on radioactive decay and stability can be found in a separate article.
A M
TL;DR Summary
I want to write a student article specially for those who don't have a background in nuclear physics. I've been suggested to share my basic understanding & ask if they're correct.
I would be grateful if anyone could explain where my mistakes are:
(Please note that diagrams are designed just to give a simple imagination of the article & make it more understandable; they do NOT correspond precise information.)
The best-known classes of nuclear transmutations are fission and fusion:
Nuclear Fusion
Under normal condition, nuclei do not stick together; because they repel each other at large distances (due to the electrostatic repulsion 'barrier') and thus the strong nuclear force cannot act. But if these nuclei get enough velocity (by very high temperature and pressure) to overcome each other's mutual repulsion sufficiently, they will have a chance to get within range of the strong nuclear attraction. And according to the fact that the nuclear force is stronger than the electric force at close range, these nuclei 'tunnel' through the electrostatic 'barrier' and stick together during a process called 'nuclear fusion'. Fusion is the process that powers high magnitude stars.

Nuclear Fission
In nuclear physics, 'fission' is a nuclear reaction or a radioactive decay process, in which the nucleus of a heavier atom can break up and produce [often two] lighter nuclei and neutron/s. So, by this general definition, some modes of radioactive decay (SF, CD, α, p) would count as nuclear fission.

References:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fusionhttp://aether.lbl.gov/elements/stellar/strong/strong.html

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there's any inaccuracy as such - especially as it's an introduction topic - but when describing fission you are "hiding" a significant topic in your description by adding "and neutron(s)' into the sentence. You might want to consider explaining - or at least noting that there is a separate topic of enquiry - why some of the neutrons in the original nucleus are ejected during the split.

mgkii said:
when describing fission you are "hiding" a significant topic in your description by adding "and neutron(s)' into the sentence.
Yes, you're right. So you suggest me to remove "and neutron/s" or explain more about it? (I think that's better to remove it to avoid confusion.)

I wouldn't suggest you remove it from the article, but maybe just from the definitions that you lead with. When you delve deeper in your article, you can then talk about the stability of a nucleus, the role the neutron plays in that stability and why fission can result in some neutrons being ejected - a handy outcome if you want to use the reaction in power station!

mgkii said:
When you delve deeper in your article, you can then talk about the stability of a nucleus

I agree with you, but that's only a small part of my article. (The whole is more than 2000 words!)
As you know, it takes much more time to explain radioactive decay, stability and half life, which needs to be written in another long article! (I may write it after this :smile: )
At first, I want to explain fundamentals (like binding energy, simple reactions and released/utilized energy) and then explain more complicated definitions.

Thread closed per OP request.

1. What is nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus. This process releases a large amount of energy and is the same process that powers the sun and other stars.

2. What is nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission is a process in which a heavy atomic nucleus splits into two or more smaller nuclei. This process also releases a large amount of energy and is the basis for nuclear power plants.

3. What is the main difference between nuclear fusion and fission?

The main difference between nuclear fusion and fission is the type of reaction that takes place. Fusion involves combining nuclei, while fission involves splitting nuclei. Additionally, fusion releases much more energy than fission.

4. What are the potential benefits of nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fusion has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy. It produces no greenhouse gas emissions and does not create long-lasting radioactive waste. It also requires very little fuel, as only a small amount of hydrogen is needed to produce a large amount of energy.

5. What are the potential risks of nuclear fission?

One of the main risks of nuclear fission is the potential for accidents and meltdowns, which can release harmful radiation into the environment. The disposal of nuclear waste is also a concern, as it remains radioactive for thousands of years. Additionally, the production of nuclear fuel can also pose a risk due to the potential for nuclear proliferation and the use of nuclear material in weapons.