I use an Olll filter to view emission nebula -- how do they work?

In summary, an Olll filter is a specialized optical filter that enhances the visibility of emission nebulae by only allowing the light emitted by hydrogen atoms to pass through. It works by blocking out all other wavelengths of light, providing a clearer and more detailed view of the nebula. Emission nebulae are clouds of gas and dust in outer space that emit light due to the presence of hot, ionized gas. An Olll filter is best used for viewing these types of objects, but can also be used for other astronomical objects that emit light at the same wavelength. It can be used with any type of telescope, but may be more effective with larger ones.
jordankonisky
I use an Olll filter to view emission nebula such as the Great Nebula in Orion. What is the mechanism by which Olll in such nebula emit photons of the wavelength that passes through my filter?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It is the same principle as glow-in-the-dark toys - forbidden lines - doubly ionized oxygen (meaning it lost 2 electrons); O III emission is at 495.9 and 500.7 nm, where nm is the wavelength. Longer term (slower) emission rates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_mechanism

1. What is an Olll filter?

An Olll filter is a type of optical filter that is specifically designed to enhance the visibility of emission nebulae. It is made of a special type of glass that allows only the light emitted by hydrogen atoms to pass through, making the nebulae stand out against the background sky.

2. How does an Olll filter work?

The filter works by blocking out all other wavelengths of light, except for the specific spectral line emitted by ionized oxygen atoms (Olll). This allows for a clearer and more detailed view of the emission nebula, as the filter blocks out any unwanted light pollution or interference.

3. What is an emission nebula?

An emission nebula is a cloud of gas and dust in outer space that emits light at various wavelengths, typically due to the presence of hot, ionized gas. These nebulae can be seen in the night sky as colorful patches of light, and are often associated with star formation processes.

4. What types of objects can I view with an Olll filter?

An Olll filter is specifically designed to enhance the visibility of emission nebulae, so it is best used for viewing these types of objects. However, it can also be used to view other types of astronomical objects that emit light at the same wavelength, such as planetary nebulae and certain types of supernovae.

5. Can I use an Olll filter with any type of telescope?

Yes, an Olll filter can be used with any type of telescope as long as it has a large enough aperture and is compatible with standard filters. However, it is important to note that the filter may be more effective with larger telescopes, as they are able to gather more light and provide a clearer view of the emission nebula.