I want to calculate mark space ratio: f=25000Hz,T=4us

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of mark time and space time, which refer to the duration of a pulse being present or not present, respectively. The moderator clarifies that the period of a complete cycle is the reciprocal of frequency and provides a calculation for a 25000Hz frequency. The original poster asks if their calculation is correct and inquires about the "mark to phase ratio," which is not a familiar term. It is revealed that the value of 4 μs was given in the original question and the poster is trying to find the duration of the space and the mark to phase ratio given the frequency and time period.
engnrshyckh
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and therefore no template, which would have helped a lot in this case ...>

i know that mark time is duration in which a pulse is present and space time is a duration is which pulse is not present. my attempt to ques is: f= 25000Hz...> t=1/f=0.4us which means pulse is present for 0.4us. that is mark time is .4us. space time 4-0.4=3.6us s therefore:
Mark:space= 0.4:3.6
=4:36,,,...>1:9 please tell me if i my calculation is faulty. Also what will be mark to Phase ratio

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The period of a complete cycle is the reciprocal of frequency.

Asymptotic said:
The period of a complete cycle is the reciprocal of frequency.
25000hz leads to 0.4us not 4us so something is missing :P

engnrshyckh said:
25000hz leads to 0.4us not 4us so something is missing :P

1/25 KHz = 1/25 ms. 1/25 ms = 0.04 ms.
0.04 ms = 40 μs total period.
Total time = Mark time + Space time

engnrshyckh said:
space time 4-0.4=3.6us
Where did the 4 μs value come from?

How is this "mark to phase ratio" defined? It's new terminology to me.

Asymptotic said:
1/25 KHz = 1/25 ms. 1/25 ms = 0.04 ms.
0.04 ms = 40 μs total period.
Total time = Mark time + Space timeWhere did the 4 μs value come from?

How is this "mark to phase ratio" defined? It's new terminology to me.
4us is given in question... if i simplify the question then i want to find mark to space and mark to phase ratio given the frequency and time period. i havnt either heard about the letter

If a single cycle of the waveform is 40 μs wide, and the mark time is 4 μs wide, then what is the duration of the 'space'?

1. What is the formula for calculating mark space ratio?

The formula for calculating mark space ratio is f*T, where f is the frequency and T is the pulse duration.

2. How do I determine the frequency and pulse duration for mark space ratio calculation?

The frequency can be determined by counting the number of cycles per second, and the pulse duration can be measured using a timer or stopwatch.

3. Can I use any unit of measurement for frequency and pulse duration in the mark space ratio formula?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement as long as they are consistent. For example, if the frequency is given in kilohertz (kHz), the pulse duration should also be given in milliseconds (ms).

4. What is the importance of mark space ratio in electronics and communication?

Mark space ratio is important in electronics and communication because it determines the efficiency and reliability of a digital signal. A balanced mark space ratio ensures that the signal can be accurately transmitted and received, minimizing errors and interference.

5. Is there a specific mark space ratio that is considered ideal?

There is no specific mark space ratio that is considered ideal for all applications. It depends on the specific requirements and limitations of the system. However, a mark space ratio of 1:1 (50% duty cycle) is commonly used in digital communication systems.