I want to replace an AC motor with a DC motor

In summary: What will be the voltage at the panel(s)? And what is the panel voltage?In summary, you will need a 12V power supply and a long cable to reach the controller. However, if you are using 2 panels, the voltage at the panel(s) will be significantly lower than if you were using just 1 panel.
ws309
Ac motor is 1.12 amp 3000 rpm 60 Hz 1/30 Hp sealed ball bearing. I want to use a 12 V dc motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You didn't ask any questions; What, exactly, do you need help with?

That might be harder to find than you think unless things like Minimum torque, same RPM and low current are not important. Just looking at V and I you have 120V and 1.12A or 134W, a 12V motor would need over 11A for the same power. However, you are probably not using it at full load, so it might work, you didn't say enough.

Aside from the mechanical requirements, all you should need is a 12V power supply.

Likes rbelli1
Haklesup said:
all you should need is a 12V power supply.

I agree. 11A is nothing to sneeze at but certainly easily manageable. Just watch your wire size and you should be fine.

BoB

Haklesup said:
That might be harder to find than you think unless things like Minimum torque, same RPM and low current are not important. Just looking at V and I you have 120V and 1.12A or 134W, a 12V motor would need over 11A for the same power. However, you are probably not using it at full load, so it might work, you didn't say enough.

Aside from the mechanical requirements, all you should need is a 12V power supply.

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

You didn't ask any questions; What, exactly, do you need help with?
I want to run my rock tumbler with solar panels and a battery bank. I don"t want to use an inverter. I am using 8 awg. wire and the longest run is 35' from the panels to the controller.

ws309 said:
I want to run my rock tumbler with solar panels and a battery bank. I don"t want to use an inverter. I am using 8 awg. wire and the longest run is 35' from the panels to the controller.
Thank you for the fast response.

ws309 said:
I am using 8 awg. wire and the longest run is 35' from the panels to the controller.

you are going to get significant voltage drop over that length of cable

what will be the loaded output voltage of the panel(s) ? ... and note that the stated panel voltage is usually an open circuit voltage

davenn said:
you are going to get significant voltage drop over that length of cable

what will be the loaded output voltage of the panel(s) ? ... and note that the stated panel voltage is usually an open circuit voltage
I am using 2 160 watt solar panels

ws309 said:
I am using 2 160 watt solar panels
That didn't answer my questions

1. Can I easily replace an AC motor with a DC motor?

It depends on the specific application and the compatibility of the motors. In general, it is not a simple swap as there are differences in the way AC and DC motors work and the electrical components required to operate them.

2. What are the main differences between AC and DC motors?

AC motors use alternating current to create a rotating magnetic field, while DC motors use direct current to produce a steady magnetic field. This results in differences in the way they function and the components required for their operation.

3. Do I need to make any modifications to my system if I want to replace an AC motor with a DC motor?

In most cases, yes. DC motors require additional components such as a power supply and speed controller, while AC motors typically do not. Additionally, the mounting and wiring of the motors may also need to be adjusted.

4. What are the advantages of using a DC motor over an AC motor?

DC motors offer better speed and torque control, making them suitable for applications where precise control is necessary. They also tend to be more energy efficient and have a longer lifespan compared to AC motors.

5. Are there any safety concerns when replacing an AC motor with a DC motor?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the electrical system is properly designed and installed to prevent any potential hazards. This may include proper grounding, insulation, and sizing of components to handle the DC motor's power requirements.