I want to think like a physicist

• Thread starter lou6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, thinking like a physicist involves approaching problems and situations with a logical and analytical mindset. It requires breaking down complex ideas into smaller, more manageable parts and using the fundamental principles of science to understand and explain them. This way of thinking also involves being open to new ideas and constantly questioning and testing assumptions. By adopting a physicist's mindset, one can gain a deeper understanding of the world and make more informed decisions based on evidence and reasoning.
lou6
I want to think like a " physicist"

i used to use the scientific methodology in inquiring about things and interpreting actions and interactions, However, stuff happens, and I had "not" so good" a couple of years that reduced the ability to think like a physicist and to love physics to a limit that it becomes second hand. What should I do to get this urge back? Any clues? I am thinking that relearning the basics will help me rediscover my love. What do you think? Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What "stuff"? (Dare I ask?)

Hi, lou6,

Your allusion to "stuff" which "reduced the ability to think like a physicist" is a bit worrying. I assume you mean something like bad experiences in physics courses. If so, the first thought which comes to mind is to suggest that you set aside time to study two books: the excellent on-line textbook by Blandford and Thorne, Applications of Classical Physics, which you can download at http://www.pma.caltech.edu/Courses/ph136/yr2004/ and the textbook by J. D. Murray, Mathematical Biology, 2nd edition, Springer, 1993.

Chris Hillman said:
Hi, lou6,

Your allusion to "stuff" which "reduced the ability to think like a physicist" is a bit worrying. I assume you mean something like bad experiences in physics courses. If so, the first thought which comes to mind is to suggest that you set aside time to study two books: the excellent on-line textbook by Blandford and Thorne, Applications of Classical Physics, which you can download at http://www.pma.caltech.edu/Courses/ph136/yr2004/ and the textbook by J. D. Murray, Mathematical Biology, 2nd edition, Springer, 1993.

I had some problems/distractions when I took two "algebra-based" physics courses last year...

Algebra-based physics courses? You mean like, Groebner basis methods? Or universal algebra? Or maybe category theory as per Robert Geroch, Mathematical Physics? Where was this?

Just curious.

By problems/distractions do you mean something like a divorce, or something like a prison sentence for a drug offence, or what?

(If you feel comfortable with answering that in general terms...)

Chris Hillman said:
Algebra-based physics courses? You mean like, Groebner basis methods? Or universal algebra? Or maybe category theory as per Robert Geroch, Mathematical Physics? Where was this?

Just curious.

By problems/distractions do you mean something like a divorce, or something like a prison sentence for a drug offence, or what?

(If you feel comfortable with answering that in general terms...)

-Algebra-based Physics courses are the courses given for life sciences/health majors. They are not based on calculus.
- No, I don't want to underestimate the "distractions", but they weren't a divorce or stuff like that. I arrived to a point where I didn't know what I want and didn't know, and was lost. I figured a lot of things out since then. Hope that clears things out.

Biology is becoming a much more quantitative disciple. There are now a lot of ways to develop quantitative thinking skills without leaving biology. You could try learning about physical/mathematical interpretations of an area of biology that interests you. If you let us know what area of biology you are in, we could probably point you to some relevant quantitative areas...

For example, Murray is an expert on modeling pattern formation, so his textbook is very good for that.

Related to I want to think like a physicist

1. What does it mean to "think like a physicist?"

To think like a physicist means to approach problems and situations with a scientific mindset. This involves using critical thinking skills, questioning assumptions, and making observations and predictions based on evidence and data.

2. Can anyone learn to think like a physicist?

Yes, anyone can learn to think like a physicist with practice and dedication. It requires developing analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of scientific principles.

3. How can thinking like a physicist benefit me?

Thinking like a physicist can benefit you in many ways. It can improve your critical thinking skills, help you make more informed decisions, and allow you to better understand and navigate the world around you.

4. What are some tips for thinking like a physicist?

Some tips for thinking like a physicist include questioning everything, breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, and using logic and reasoning to solve problems. It's also important to have a strong understanding of math and science principles.

5. Can thinking like a physicist be applied to everyday life?

Yes, thinking like a physicist can be applied to everyday life. It can help you make decisions, solve problems, and understand the world around you in a more scientific and analytical way. It can also lead to a deeper appreciation for the complexities of the universe.