I want to work with NASA Spacecraft like Voyager

In summary, the individual is currently attending college for their AA and plans to transfer to a university for a Bachelor's degree, specifically in Computer Science. They are interested in working with NASA spacecraft, such as Voyager and New Horizons, and want to know if a Computer Science degree would allow them to work on these teams and program the systems on board. They also ask for advice on how to stand out in this niche career, such as attending conferences and networking. It is mentioned that specializing in robotics and control systems may be helpful, but much of the exciting work is done by the researchers themselves.
Bumpeh
So, I did a little searching around on these forums before I posted this, and I do see lots of threads about working for NASA but not something about my specific situation.

I'm currently attending a college working on my AA. After that, I'm probably going to transfer to a University, where I'll work on a Bachelor's Degree. I'm mainly thinking of a Computer Science degree right now. I think it's a very good fit with me, and I know there are many lucrative careers in Computer Science. I'd really like to work with NASA Spacecraft, like Voyager and New Horizons, be a part of the teams that handle those Spacecraft systems, the engineers and programmers and everyone else behind those amazing unmanned missions that allow us to learn so much about our Solar System and the Universe as a whole. My first question is whether a Computer Science degree would allow me to work on these teams and with spacecraft like these? Perhaps work on programming the systems on board the spacecraft . Also, is there any other degree that would better fit this kind of position? And finally, what else should I do besides getting very good grades in college if I want to pursue this very niche career? Thanks everyone!

PS- I'm new to the community, so hi everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
My first question is whether a Computer Science degree would allow me to work on these teams and with spacecraft like these?
A computer science degree would help you get a position as a programmer for robot spacecraft . You will need to specialize - many colleges offer an engineering course which covers robotics and control systems.

And finally, what else should I do besides getting very good grades in college if I want to pursue this very niche career?
You should read a lot and get a hobby along the lines of programming controllers for whatever takes your fancy. Attend conferences, write papers... network. There are a lot of people entering this field so you need to stand out from the pack. afaict people who actually work on the spacecraft do not specialize in that - they do other things and get asked to work on some small part of what the spacecraft does.
Much of the exciting work gets done by the researchers themselves.

Likes Bumpeh

1. What qualifications do I need to work with NASA spacecraft like Voyager?

To work with NASA spacecraft like Voyager, you will need a strong background in science and engineering. A degree in a relevant field such as aerospace engineering, physics, or computer science is typically required. In addition, experience with space missions and knowledge of spacecraft design, operations, and instrumentation are highly desirable.

2. How can I apply to work with NASA spacecraft like Voyager?

You can apply to work with NASA spacecraft through their official website or through USAJobs.gov. Be sure to carefully review the job requirements and qualifications before submitting your application. Networking and building connections within the industry can also increase your chances of being considered for a position.

3. What types of roles are available for working with NASA spacecraft like Voyager?

There are a variety of roles available for working with NASA spacecraft like Voyager. Some common roles include engineers, scientists, technicians, and mission controllers. There are also opportunities for project management, software development, and data analysis. Each mission may have different positions available, so it is important to research specific roles and their requirements.

4. What kind of work environment can I expect when working with NASA spacecraft like Voyager?

The work environment when working with NASA spacecraft like Voyager can vary depending on your specific role and responsibilities. Some positions may require working in a laboratory or clean room, while others may involve more office work. In general, you can expect to work in a collaborative and fast-paced environment with a team of highly skilled professionals.

5. What are some challenges I may face when working with NASA spacecraft like Voyager?

Working with NASA spacecraft like Voyager can be a highly rewarding experience, but it also comes with its own set of challenges. Some challenges you may face include long hours, tight deadlines, and technical difficulties. You may also need to adapt to working in a high-stress and high-pressure environment, as the success of these missions is critical for space exploration. However, with dedication and determination, these challenges can be overcome and the experience can be incredibly fulfilling.