I with my quantum magnetism paper

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty in structuring an essay on quantum magnetism due to the limited word count. The person is looking for ideas, recommendations, and sources for their essay. One suggestion is to focus on collective magnetism phenomena and explain the quantum mechanical exchange interaction. The conversation also mentions lecture notes on quantum magnetism and a link to a forum discussion on magnetic fields in solids.
GiuliettaL
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
(I have to write a 1500 word essay briefly explaining quantum magnetism. But i am having a hard time structuring my essay as I need to select what is crucial and what is not since 1500 words is not a lot.
is there anyone with any input for me? Ideas, recommendations, sources anything is helpful!
thank youuu)

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a bit vague. What do you mean by "quantum magnetism"? Is it about condensed-matter physics and magnetic properties of materials and if so, which aspect of it should you concentrate on?

vanhees71 said:
That's a bit vague. What do you mean by "quantum magnetism"? Is it about condensed-matter physics and magnetic properties of materials and if so, which aspect of it should you concentrate on?
By quantum magnetism is I mean the basic concept of why magnetism in solids should be explained through magnetism.
Sorry for the confusion

Likes vanhees71
What you could do is briefly define para and diamagnetism in an introduction and then focus on collective magnetism phenomena in the main part. Explain the quantum mechanical exchange interaction and their way of minimizing energy and maybe the Heisenberg Ferro/Antiferromagnet.

But it is hard to say more. What level of detail or pre-knowledge is expected?

Likes PhDeezNutz and Delta2
See https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/a-magnetostatics-problem-of-interest-2.971045/
for something you might find of interest in how magnetic fields are computed in solids, given the magnetization vector ## \vec{M} ##.
In general, the subject is not a simple one, but this "link" might help you get started.

Edit: It is interesting how the magnetic field ## \vec{B} ## gets computed by these two methods. In the pole method, it uses fictitious magnetic charges to do the computation, and in the other method it uses magnetic surface currents that consist of electrical charges, but there is no actual charge transport. Both methods get the exact same result for the magnetic field ## \vec{B} ##.

Last edited:
Likes yucheng and Delta2

1. What is quantum magnetism?

Quantum magnetism is the study of magnetic phenomena at the atomic and subatomic level, where quantum mechanics plays a significant role.

2. What is the significance of your quantum magnetism paper?

My paper explores a new theoretical framework for understanding the behavior of magnetic materials at the quantum level, which has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and data storage.

3. What methods did you use in your research?

I used a combination of theoretical calculations and computer simulations to develop and test my proposed framework for quantum magnetism.

4. Can you explain the key findings of your paper in simple terms?

My paper presents a new way of understanding how magnetic materials behave at the quantum level, which could lead to more efficient and accurate predictions of their properties and potential applications.

5. What are the potential implications of your research for the scientific community?

My research could contribute to the development of new technologies and materials that utilize quantum magnetism, and also advance our understanding of fundamental physics principles at the quantum level.