Ice cube melting, solving for Initial Temp of Ice.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of conservation of energy to find the initial temperature of an ice cube placed in water. The equation used is -mCΔTwater = mCΔTice + mHice + mCΔTwater(ice). The result obtained is -60°C, which is deemed unreasonable. Possible sources of interference, such as the container and insulation, are also mentioned. It is concluded that the final temperature may have been affected by external factors.
Skeetss

Homework Statement

.019 Kg icecube @ unknown temperature (In deg C)
Placed in 200 mL (.2 KG) water at 35 C.
After melting, water is at 22.4 C.
Find initial temperature of ice using conservation of energy.

Homework Equations

I've done the math a ton of times and keep getting -60 C which is completely unreasonable seeing as this was an incube taken out of a standard freezer.

I'm using the equation:

[itex]-mC\Delta T_{water}=mC\Delta T_{ice}+mH_{F_{ice}}+mC\Delta T_{water(ice)}[/itex]

HF= Heat of fusion of water/ice

Plugging in for ΔT, I get:

[itex]-mC(T_{F}-T_{I})=mC(T_{F}-T_{I})+mH_{F_{ice}}+mC(T_{F}-T_{I})[/itex]

[itex]-.2(4180)(22.4-35)=.019(2080)(0-T_{I})+.019(3.34*10^{5}+.019(4180)(22.4-0)[/itex]

[itex]T_{I}=-60°C[/itex]

That can't be correct.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure it's my math somewhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't spot any errors in what you've done.

If this is data from an actual lab experiment can you identify other sources or sinks of heat energy that might have interfered? For example, what about the container? What was it made of? How was it insulated? How long did the mixture have to sit before taking the final temperature?

Agree with the answer. I agree that it sounds extreme but it is not impossible !
It is a 'tiny' piece of ice compared to the mass of water and the temp change is 'quite large'

It was a styrofoam cup so it was insulated pretty well. My guess is my labmates misread or interfered with the final temp by accident. We were looking to find the initial temp of the ice and the lab question was to find the temperature of the physics department's freezer so who knows what went wrong. Thanks for the help.

Your approach is correct, but it seems like there may be an error in your calculations. The initial temperature of the ice can be found by equating the heat lost by the water to the heat gained by the ice and the heat of fusion of the ice. Using the equation you provided, we can set up the following equation:

-mCΔTwater = mCΔTice + mHfice

Where:
m = mass
C = specific heat capacity
ΔT = change in temperature
Hf = heat of fusion

Plugging in the known values:

-(0.2 kg)(4180 J/kg°C)(35°C - 22.4°C) = (0.019 kg)(2080 J/kg°C)(Tice - 0°C) + (0.019 kg)(3.34 x 10^5 J/kg)

Solving for Tice, we get:

Tice = 0.38°C

This means that the initial temperature of the ice was approximately 0.38°C. It is possible that there was a mistake in your calculations or in the values used. Double check your work and make sure to use the correct units for each variable.

Related to Ice cube melting, solving for Initial Temp of Ice.

1. How do you calculate the initial temperature of ice?

The initial temperature of ice can be calculated using the formula: initial temperature = final temperature - (mass of ice x heat of fusion) / mass of ice. This formula takes into account the heat lost by the ice as it melts, which is equal to the mass of the ice multiplied by the heat of fusion, and subtracts it from the final temperature to determine the initial temperature.

2. What is the heat of fusion for ice?

The heat of fusion for ice is the amount of energy required to change one gram of ice at 0°C to water at 0°C. This value is 334 joules per gram, or 80 calories per gram.

3. How can you measure the mass of ice?

The mass of ice can be measured using a scale. Place a container on the scale and record the weight, then add the ice and record the new weight. The difference between the two weights is the mass of the ice.

4. Can the initial temperature of ice be negative?

Yes, the initial temperature of ice can be negative. This indicates that the ice is below the freezing point of water, which is 0°C. However, the formula for calculating the initial temperature of ice will still work, as it takes into account the heat lost by the ice as it melts.

5. How accurate is the calculation for the initial temperature of ice?

The accuracy of the calculation for the initial temperature of ice depends on the accuracy of the measurements taken, such as the final temperature and the mass of the ice. It also assumes that the ice is pure and the heat of fusion is constant. Any impurities in the ice or fluctuation in the heat of fusion may affect the accuracy of the calculation. Using precise measurements and pure ice can help improve the accuracy of the calculation.