Ice will melt faster which case -- over or below hot block?

In summary, natural convection always occurs opposite of gravity due to buoyancy; but I am confused as ice is solid so how could possibly convection even contribute to the heat transfer. I doubt about air movements nearby block that may contribute to greater heat transfer rate in case of hot block placed below the ice.
Ravi Singh choudhary
Natural convection always occurs opposite of gravity due to buoyancy; but I am confused as ice is solid so how could possibly convection even contribute to the heat transfer. I doubt about air movements nearby block that may contribute to greater heat transfer rate in case of hot block placed below the ice.

Pls help

Attachments

• block.docx
    11 KB · Views: 284
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your drawing shows the ice and hot metal blocks are in contact. So most heat will be transported by conduction not convection. It will not make much difference which one is on top.

Ravi Singh choudhary said:
as ice is solid so how could possibly convection even contribute to the heat transfer

Convection only occurs in liquids and gasses, NOT in solids like ice.

If you look what happens at the edges...

If the metal block is below the ice it will heat up the air causing the air to rise past the edges of the ice.
If the metal is on the top that energy is carried away into the room without going past the edges of the ice.

Convection.jpg

Likes Ravi Singh choudhary
I am talking about even the negligible difference between the timing of melting of ice.
I think ice on top of metal block will win the race.

I agree.

Natural convection always occurs opposite of gravity due to buoyancy; but I am confused as ice is solid so how could possibly convection even contribute to the heat transfer. I doubt about air movements nearby block that may contribute to greater heat transfer rate in case of hot block placed below the ice.

Heat transfer is almost entirely determined by flow of melt water and steam . Simple air current convection will probably only be be a minor contributor .

Try thinking about the actual physics of what is happening .

Nidum said:
Heat transfer is almost entirely determined by flow of melt water and steam . Simple air current convection will probably only be be a minor contributor .

Try thinking about the actual physics of what is happening .

I think steam would not be there as metal block is at 50 degree Celsius only.

In between the ice block and the metal block there must be a layer of melt water .

What happens to this layer of water as the melting of the ice block progresses ?

Last edited:
Nidum said:
In between the ice block and the metal block there must be a layer of melt water .

What happens to this layer of water as the melting of the ice block progresses ?
I think water will flow down between the edges of block

Yes - water will flow out continuously while the melting process is active .

So :

(a) What is the main mechanism of heat transfer between the blocks ?

(b) Is there any additional mechanism of heat transfer involving the external flow of the melt water ?

(c) Back to the original question - does it make any difference which block is on top ?

Nidum said:
Yes - water will flow out continuously while the melting process is active .

So :

(a) What is the main mechanism of heat transfer between the blocks ?

(b) Is there any additional mechanism of heat transfer involving the external flow of the melt water ?

(c) Back to the original question - does it make any difference which block is on top ?
Yeah that water would be at just more than zero degree Celsius. That means we have a gradient between atmosphere and water flowing. So somehow it will drop the temperature nearby air. If Ice would be on top; it will decrease the metal block temperature side wise also. In the meantime the gradient between metal block and ice will reduce consequently it would reduce the heat transfer. But if Ice would be below the metal block, then water will just fall to the ground.

What is the answer to (a) ?

Nidum said:
What is the answer to (a) ?
Conduction only

Is that correct ?

What do other PF members think ?

Nidum said:
Is that correct ?

What do other PF members think ?
I must say conduction is predominant. Convection would be there due to liquid water flowing and air movement also. Magnitude of both will decide, in which case ICE will melt fast?

I must say conduction is predominant. Convection would be there due to liquid water flowing and air movement also

Seems about right for the problem you originally described . At higher temperature differences convection would probably become more active .

That's it for now .

1. How does the temperature of the block affect the melting rate of ice?

The temperature of the block has a direct effect on the melting rate of ice. The hotter the block, the faster the ice will melt. This is because heat is transferred from the block to the ice, increasing its temperature and causing it to melt faster.

2. Does the material of the block make a difference in the melting rate of ice?

Yes, the material of the block can affect the melting rate of ice. Materials that conduct heat well, such as metal, will transfer more heat to the ice, causing it to melt faster compared to materials that are poor conductors of heat, such as wood.

3. Will the shape of the block impact the melting rate of ice?

Yes, the shape of the block can affect the melting rate of ice. A larger surface area on the block in contact with the ice will transfer more heat, causing the ice to melt faster compared to a smaller surface area. This is why a flat, rectangular block will melt ice faster than a round block.

4. How does the thickness of the ice impact the melting rate?

The thickness of the ice also plays a role in the melting rate. Thicker ice will take longer to melt compared to thinner ice because it has more mass and requires more heat to raise its temperature to the melting point.

5. Does the surrounding environment affect the melting rate of ice on a hot block?

Yes, the surrounding environment can affect the melting rate of ice on a hot block. Factors such as humidity, air temperature, and air flow can impact the rate at which the ice melts. For example, a higher humidity level can slow down the melting rate because the water vapor in the air will condense on the ice and insulate it from the heat of the block.