Ideal Gas Equation and Polytropic Constant

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the work done by an ideal gas in a polytropic process. Different equations are used, including the ideal gas law and the polytropic equation, which have different values for the variable "n." This can lead to confusion and the need for clarification on which n is being used in each equation. Additionally, there are different forms of the ideal gas law depending on the variables being used (mols, mass, or specific volume).
Redfire66

Homework Statement

I'm given a initial and final pressure and temperature of an ideal gas to solve for the work done after it expans in a polytropic process (n=1.2)

Homework Equations

W = integral of P*dV
PV = nRT
PV = RT*
PV = mRT
PV^n = Constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I get W = integral of PdV = (P2V2 - P1V1)/(1-n)
After this part my solutions are completely different than how I solved for work

Initially I thought, since PV = nRT I can just substitute it in and get W = (P2V2 - P1V1)/(1-n) = nR(T2-T1)/(1-n)
but in the solution it solves for the volumes, using P1V1 =RT1
This is where I have a bunch of questions...

I haven't been explained these equations too well in lectures so I've been reading my textbook but it doesn't explain anything on PV = RT. But I believe it's using molar volume
I tried to solve for the initial volume using P1V1 = R*T1 which gave the correct value

But then I tried
P2V2 = RT2 to get V2 and substituting it into the work equation which didn't seem to work out because the volume is different if I were to use P1V1^n = P2V2^n

I understand that this equation can be used for a polytropic process but I don't get why I can't use P2V2 = nRT2 to solve for the volume instead.

The process still involves an ideal gas, so how come when I use these two different equations my volume is different?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Redfire66 said:
PV^n = Constant
PV = nRT

I'm not sure about that, because I didn't comprehend your attempt completely, but are you aware, that the symbol "n" stands for two different values in the abovementioned equations?

Redfire66 said:
But then I tried P2V2 = RT2 to get V2 and substituting it into the work equation which didn't seem to work out because the volume is different if I were to use P1V1^n = P2V2^n
[...]
I understand that this equation can be used for a polytropic process but I don't get why I can't use P2V2 = nRT2 to solve for the volume instead.

What values did you use for R and n in your equations?

stockzahn said:
I'm not sure about that, because I didn't comprehend your attempt completely, but are you aware, that the symbol "n" stands for two different values in the abovementioned equations?
What values did you use for R and n in your equations?
Yeah I sort of thought I didn't explain it properly. Anyway R would be teh gas constant, nitrogen was used so using the table it was about .2968 I believe.
I don't really care about the values, I know it's not calculations. I just want to know what this formula is PV = RT, since there's no variable in front like the PV = nRT that I'm used to seeing.
Secondly, when attempting to find a change in volume in a polytropic process... I'm asking why can't I use the common PV = nRT given the value of n. But rather I would have to use PV^n = Constant. Also I did not understand the values for n is different in the equations. Just because there's nothing distinguishing a difference between them.

Redfire66 said:
Secondly, when attempting to find a change in volume in a polytropic process... I'm asking why can't I use the common PV = nRT given the value of n. But rather I would have to use PV^n = Constant. Also I did not understand the values for n is different in the equations. Just because there's nothing distinguishing a difference between them.

Well that's the point:
- the n in PV = nRT is the number of mols
- the n in PV^n is the isentropic coefficient

they are completley different values it's just the same symbol

There are three common forms for the ideal gas equation:

p ⋅V = n ⋅ Rm ⋅ T ... with n is the mols and Rm is the gas constant in [J/(mol⋅K)] and the same valuefor each gas (Rm=8.314 J/(mol⋅K))
p ⋅V = m ⋅ R ⋅ T ... with m is mass and R is the gas constant in [J/(kg⋅K)] and different for each gas
p ⋅v = R ⋅ T ... with R is the gas constant in [J/(kg⋅K)] and different for each gas and v is the specific volume in [m3/kg] (= is the inverse value of the density: v = 1 / ρ)

Likes Redfire66

1. What is the Ideal Gas Equation?

The Ideal Gas Equation, also known as the General Gas Equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationships between pressure, volume, temperature, and the amount of gas present in a system. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. What is the significance of the Ideal Gas Equation?

The Ideal Gas Equation is significant because it allows us to calculate the behavior of gases under different conditions, such as changes in pressure, volume, and temperature. It is also used to determine the amount of gas present in a system and to compare the properties of different gases.

3. What is the Ideal Gas Law Constant?

The Ideal Gas Law Constant, denoted by the symbol R, is a proportionality constant that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas in the Ideal Gas Equation. Its value depends on the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature, and is typically expressed in units of energy per mole per Kelvin (J/mol·K).

4. What is the Polytropic Constant?

The Polytropic Constant, also known as the Polytropic Index or Exponent, is a parameter in the polytropic process equation that describes the relationship between pressure and volume for an ideal gas as it undergoes a change in temperature. It is represented by the symbol n and its value depends on the type of process (isothermal, adiabatic, etc.) and can range from 0 to infinity.

5. How is the Ideal Gas Equation related to the Polytropic Constant?

The Ideal Gas Equation and the Polytropic Constant are related in that they both describe the behavior of an ideal gas under different conditions. The Ideal Gas Equation uses the Polytropic Constant to represent the type of process the gas is undergoing, while the Polytropic Constant itself is derived from the Ideal Gas Equation when the temperature is not constant. Additionally, the Ideal Gas Law Constant, R, is used in both equations to relate the other variables.