Solving Unusual Problems: Using the Polytropic Ideal Gas Equation

In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with a problem involving the use of the polytropic ideal gas equation to calculate the change in temperature when the lungs are depressurized from 1 atm to 0.9 atm. The teacher confirmed that the student's math was correct and asked for a list of assumptions. The student stated that they assumed cp = constant and that the breathable air is an ideal gas. The steps for the calculations were also provided.
mulgerizze
Homework Statement
Exhaling air through a mask means the lungs needs to be pressurized to 1.1 atm instead of the normal 1atm. To exhale through the mask the lungs are depressurized to 0.9 atm. In either case the temp of the lungs wont be the normal 98.7 degrees Fahrenheit. What is the temperature swing of the lungs in this case?
Relevant Equations
Entropy, polytropic equation for an ideal gas
My teacher likes to make really weird problems. How can I start this problem? The only thing I thought of doing is using the polytropic ideal gas equation when cp= constant. (p2/p1)^k-1/k = T2/T1 and making p1 and t1 in each case the normal state of the lungs

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello (again),

And what do you get when you follow your thought ?

##\ ##

BvU said:
Hello (again),

And what do you get when you follow your thought ?

##\ ##
I got that the temperature from 1 atm to 1.1 atm was 114 and the temperature from 1 atm to 0.9 atm was 82

BvU said:
I suppose you used (p2/p1)^(k-1)/k = T2/T1 and not (p2/p1)^k-1/k = T2/T1
And k = 7/5 ?

I have trouble dealing with units like Fahrenheit and psi, but I suppose your math is ok.

So if your asumptions (did you list them ?) are correct, this is what omes out. Seems a bit hefty to me, but who knows ...

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-help-guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/
(don't just dump a number, show your steps)

##\ ##
I assumed cp = constant and that the breathable air is an ideal gas.

My steps for for p=1.1 to p=1 k=1.4 were 98.7+460(1.1atm/1atm)^(1.4-1)/1.4

For p=0.9 to p=1 k=1.4 . 98.7+460(.9atm/1atm)^(1.4-1)/1.4

mulgerizze said:
Homework Statement:: To exhale inhale through the mask the lungs are depressurized to 0.9 atm.
Fixed typo for you in your problem statement. :smile:

Likes hmmm27

1. What is the Polytropic Ideal Gas Equation?

The Polytropic Ideal Gas Equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. It is written as PVn = constant, where P is pressure, V is volume, and n is a constant value.

2. How is the Polytropic Ideal Gas Equation used to solve unusual problems?

The Polytropic Ideal Gas Equation can be used to solve problems involving gases that do not follow the ideal gas law, such as when the temperature or pressure is changing. By manipulating the equation and using different values for n, it can be used to solve for unknown variables in these types of situations.

3. What is the significance of the constant value, n, in the Polytropic Ideal Gas Equation?

The value of n in the Polytropic Ideal Gas Equation represents the specific heat ratio of the gas. It is a measure of how the gas responds to changes in temperature and pressure. Different gases have different values for n, which affects how they behave under different conditions.

4. Can the Polytropic Ideal Gas Equation be used for all gases?

No, the Polytropic Ideal Gas Equation is only applicable to gases that follow the polytropic process, which is a process where the temperature and pressure of a gas change simultaneously in a specific way. Not all gases follow this process, so the equation cannot be used for all gases.

5. How does the Polytropic Ideal Gas Equation differ from the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law, PV = nRT, is a simplified version of the Polytropic Ideal Gas Equation, where n and R are constant values. The Polytropic Ideal Gas Equation takes into account the changing nature of gases under different conditions, while the Ideal Gas Law assumes that gases behave ideally under all conditions.