Ideal Gas Law Application: Finding the Temperature of Air in a Tire

In summary, the problem involves a family taking a trip to Grandma's, with a starting temperature of 288K and gauge pressure of 32lb/in^2 in the tires. After an hour's ride, the gauge pressure increases to 38psi. Using the Ideal Gas Law, the temperature of the air in the tires can be calculated to be 69C, however, the correct answer is 52C. The mistake was using the wrong units for gauge pressure and the inability to use the Celsius scale due to its non-linear relationship with Kelvin.
iflabs
[SOLVED] Ideal Gas Law Application

Homework Statement

One Sunday morning a family takes an automobile trip to Grandma's. At the start of the trip, the temperature is 288K (15C), and the gauge pressure in the tires is 32lb/in^2 (psi). (The gauge pressure is the excess over 14.5 psi, the exterior air pressure.) After an hour's ride over an interstate highway, the gauge pressure in the tires is 38 psi. What is the temperature of the air in the tires, assuming that air behaves as an ideal gas? Neglect any changes in volume of the tires.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

3. After working around with the universal gas law, the forumla I used is: T2=(P2*T1)/P1

T2=(38/32)*288=342K

342-273=69C

The textbook gives the answer 52C. What am I doing wrong? Did I use the wrong units?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They already told you. Gauge pressure is pressure above 14.5 psi. Try solving T2=(38+14.5)*T1/(32+14.5).

Dick said:
They already told you. Gauge pressure is pressure above 14.5 psi. Try solving T2=(38+14.5)*T1/(32+14.5).

Hmmm, I missed that part. What does it mean when the gauge pressure is above 14.5psi?

I forgot, but why can't you use the celsius scale to do the problem?

Last edited:
What they meant is that real pressure=14.5psi+gauge pressure. It's the pressure you would read with a tire gauge, for example. If it reads 0psi that just means that the pressure in the tire is the same as atmospheric pressure. You can't use degrees C because 0C=273K, 1C=274K, but 274/273 is NOT equal to 1/0. You tell me what went wrong.

Related to Ideal Gas Law Application: Finding the Temperature of Air in a Tire

What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a scientific equation that describes the behavior of an ideal gas under various conditions. It relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas.

What are the units used in the Ideal Gas Law?

The units used in the Ideal Gas Law are pressure in Pascals (Pa), volume in cubic meters (m3), temperature in Kelvin (K), and number of moles in moles (mol).

How is the Ideal Gas Law applied in real-life situations?

The Ideal Gas Law is used in many areas of science and engineering, such as in gas laws, thermodynamics, and atmospheric science. It is also used in industries such as chemical and petroleum refining, where gases are present.

What are the assumptions made in the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law assumes that the gas is in a state of ideal conditions, meaning there is no intermolecular attraction, the gas particles have negligible volume, and all collisions between particles are elastic.

What is the difference between an ideal gas and a real gas?

An ideal gas is a hypothetical gas that follows the Ideal Gas Law and the assumptions made in it. A real gas, on the other hand, does not perfectly follow the Ideal Gas Law due to intermolecular attractions and non-negligible particle volume.