Ideal Gas question (PV=nRT)

In summary, the reaction between 0.20 mol of SO2 and 0.2 mol of O2 in a 4.0 L flask at 25ºC will produce 0.3 mol of SO3. The pressure in the flask after the reaction is complete can be calculated using the equation PV = nRT, with n = 0.3 mol, V = 4.0 L, T = 298 K, and R = 0.082 L atm/mol K. This results in a pressure of 0.3(0.082)(298)/4 = 1.85 atm. The fact that SO2 is the limiting reagent means that there will be an equal amount of SO3 produced
Jules18
2 SO2 +O2 --> 2 SO3

A mixture of gases containing 0.20 mol of SO2 and 0.2 mol of O2 in a 4.0 L flask reacts to form SO3. If the temperature is 25ºC, what is the pressure in the flask after reaction is complete?

The answer key says the answer is 0.3(0.082)(298)/4, using PV = nRT. (0.3 being the number of moles of gas after the reaction.)
But according to the coefficients in the reaction, I thought since there are 0.2 moles of SO2 there should also be 0.2 moles of SO3.

Is it a typo or am I wrong in how I approached the question?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a limiting reagent problem...

--

If I understand you correctly, I knew that, and I thought the limiting reactant was SO2. So I thought that if there were 0.2 moles of SO2, there would be 0.2 moles of the product...
That was my logic

?

Correct logic so far.

If SO2 is a limiting reagent, what can you tell about oxygen?

--

Ooooooookay I can't believe I didn't realize that!

grrr

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law, also known as the General Gas Equation, is an equation that describes the behavior of an ideal gas under various conditions. It relates the pressure (P), volume (V), temperature (T), and number of moles (n) of a gas to each other through the universal gas constant (R).

2. What are the units for each variable in the Ideal Gas Law?

The units for pressure are typically in atmospheres (atm), volume in liters (L), temperature in Kelvin (K), and number of moles in moles (mol). The universal gas constant has different units depending on the values used for the other variables.

3. How is the Ideal Gas Law used in real-world applications?

The Ideal Gas Law is commonly used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering to predict the behavior of gases in various situations. It can be used to calculate the pressure, volume, or temperature of a gas, as well as the number of moles present, given the other variables.

4. What are the assumptions made in the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law assumes that the gas particles are in constant, random motion and that there are no interactions between them. It also assumes that the volume of the gas particles themselves is negligible compared to the volume of the container they are in.

5. Are there any limitations to the Ideal Gas Law?

Yes, there are limitations to the Ideal Gas Law. It is most accurate at low pressures and high temperatures, and becomes less accurate as the pressure and/or temperature increase. It also does not account for the effects of intermolecular forces or the volume of the gas particles themselves.